esp32-s3 mini purple Lolin

Recurrent H/W and software problems
peridot

esp32-s3 mini purple Lolin

Post by peridot »

I am just about ready to bin these two modules I have as I cannot flash them successfully but I keep coming back to them trying another approach as I am convinced I is something I am doing/not doing :oops:
The most success I have had , at least it talked to me, is using the toolkit and using a serial adapter. This what I get on the serial port, anyone had this and went on to successfully flashing them? or is it time to Bin :(
2023-12-02 15_59_14-.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: esp32-s3 mini purple Lolin

Post by cicciocb »

Hi,
first of all are you sure that your modules are ESP32-S3?
I suppose that the modules are very probably ESP32-S2.

I suggest to use the online flasher [Local Link Removed for Guests] and try to flash with it.

In the worst case you should be able to identify the kind of modules that you have
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Post us a pic of them.
peridot

Post by peridot »

Here you go,

Tried with the web flasher exactly the same result. I would really like to find I am doing something wrong but ...I am afraid I think they are stuffed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bugs

Post by bugs »

My suggestion is to try using the rest and boot buttons in the normal order. Other people have had trouble with this board - e.g. read this thread.
[/https://github.com/esphome/esp-web-tools/issues/374]
BeanieBots

Post by BeanieBots »

As a last attemp, try a different USB lead.
I have one lead and one board which when used together always keep resetting when trying to update the firmware.

@Bugs Your link returns "The requested page could not be found"
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Alors, this module is not supported.
It is an ESP32-S3 with 4MB of QIO flash and 2mB of QIO PSRAM; additionally it has a direct USB connection (no USB to serial converter integrated) like the some of ESP32-S2.
It requires a firmware QIO_QSPI
It should work with the firmware 1.50.5 CAN_qio_qspi_LFS but you'll not have any activity on the USB as the firmware will use the serial link on the TX and RX pins; in this case you should be able to use it via the web interface.

So I suggest to load it and see if you can find its AP access point.
peridot

Post by peridot »

Perfect cicciocb :D That did the trick, good job I asked before binning them, It must give you an headache keeping up with all these different versions!
I assume I will have to stick with that version?, that's fine they at least work.

Thanks again, Mike
bugs

Post by bugs »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:25 am @Bugs Your link returns "The requested page could not be found"
Sorry about that - probably bad typing
https://github.com/esphome/esp-web-tools/issues/374
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:07 pm Perfect cicciocb :D That did the trick, good job I asked before binning them, It must give you an headache keeping up with all these different versions!
I assume I will have to stick with that version?, that's fine they at least work.

Thanks again, Mike
Nice to see that my hypothesis was correct; you can eventually use the serial port with an external USB to serial adapter.
I plan to publish an updated version in next days so I'll include also this variant.