Flash size Problem 1MB

All that relates to the Annex Toolkit Utility
Oli

Flash size Problem 1MB

Post by Oli »

V1.1 Toolkit:
I have many devices ESP8266 with 1MB, it error affects 75% of these devices
If I only flash the firmware, it works
When I flash firmware + data, datasize: emty. If the first part becomes a good 0-100%, in the second step there is 25%, 50% 75% then there is error (serial communication error).
I suspect that the flash has few bytes less on these devices
The devices usually boot anyway, but are unstable, e.g. In the editor it stores programs unreliable,

Emergency solution: I only flash the firmware, in the File Manager Repair Disk, and manually transmitted everything.
BeanieBots

Re: Flash size Problem 1MB

Post by BeanieBots »

That is to be expected. A 1M device does not have enough space to include all the example files.
What you did is the best solution. Flash with no data and repair disk or probably better clear all and then re-flash with no data.
Keep a check with FLASHFREE periodically while you develop you project.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

You can create your own data zip.
Obviously save a copy of the original first, but then you can go through the original to prune out anything you don't need, and add anything extra that you may want.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Honestly it is really a miracle that Annex runs on the 1M devices :-)
Oli

Post by Oli »

I still have problems with all devices with 1MB flash,
There are 90% of all devices "Sonoff" or lamps sockets with 1MB flash, and all with ESP8285,
https://tasmota.github.io/docs/devices/Sonoff-Mini/
I have tested different methods for flashing, including the webinstaller.
The last working version is Annex WiFi 1.42

I try newer versions:
The chips can be flashed, then start the AP, i connected Phone, (1.48)
These usually do not react to 192.168.4.1.
Sometimes, for example, 1.44.2 the web interface showed, after "Repair Disk" there was also an end, or nothing was saved, "Save as" after Open there was no file.

I know you love powerful controllers, soon Annex32 will be a PC :-)
But the strengths are the widespread Tuya boards.
There is approx. € 2-3 € the ESP-02S these fit in most current Tuya devices and contain the ESP8285 (is an ESP8266 integrated with 1MB)
my program.bas is only 1 kb and a config 1kb, annex 705kb, no picture.. It should fit, some address /assignment problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:31 pm I still have problems with all devices with 1MB flash,
There are 90% of all devices "Sonoff" or lamps sockets with 1MB flash, and all with ESP8285,
https://tasmota.github.io/docs/devices/Sonoff-Mini/
I have tested different methods for flashing, including the webinstaller.
The last working version is Annex WiFi 1.42

I try newer versions:
The chips can be flashed, then start the AP, i connected Phone, (1.48)
These usually do not react to 192.168.4.1.
Sometimes, for example, 1.44.2 the web interface showed, after "Repair Disk" there was also an end, or nothing was saved, "Save as" after Open there was no file.

I know you love powerful controllers, soon Annex32 will be a PC :-)
But the strengths are the widespread Tuya boards.
There is approx. € 2-3 € the ESP-02S these fit in most current Tuya devices and contain the ESP8285 (is an ESP8266 integrated with 1MB)
my program.bas is only 1 kb and a config 1kb, annex 705kb, no picture.. It should fit, some address /assignment problem?
Take care that some modules work only in DIO / DOUT mode (and not in QIO).
Maybe this is the problem.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Also, you cannot have OTA on a 1Mb device, there is not enough room for the OTA loader plus the firmware.

I try to get back to roots with that sort of problem, so I would use the red button to wipe the device clean of whatever may have been on it, then start again.
I haven't flashed a 1Mb esp8266 for a long time, but at that time the green button upgrade did not add any files, so did not include a couple of essential necessary files which did get installed with the yellow button.
So I pruned down a copy of the yellow data zip file so that the remainder did easily fit the 1Mb along with the necessary files.

Definitely my Sonoffs needed DIO mode.
They then worked for a year two, but I think DIO stands for 'Death Is Obligatory', cos all of my Sonoffs are long dead.
Oli

Post by Oli »

To think of new things again :-)
But working version 1.42 on these devices,
Only use the USB serial converter with your website, or annextoolkit_release-1.1 or "Espeasy Flasher" cannot set anything.

I have soldered the Flash Chip for 8MB several times without thinking, luckily never had any problems with these devices, certainly luck.

The market changes quickly:
Now I found a very cheap board with ESP8684-Wroom-03
Also in this suitable mini board fit for Tuya devices.
What can we expect?
found:
ESP8685 has an ESP32-C3 silicon die packaged together with 2MB flash in a 4x4 mm QFN-28 package. This package doesn't have SPI Flash signals bonded out to package pads.
For comparison, ESP32-C3F2 also has an ESP32-C3 die and 2MB flash, but the package is 5x5mm QFN-32, and SPI Flash signals are bonded out.
For software developers, ESP32-C3F2 and ESP8685 are equivalent, you can use "esp32c3" target in ESP-IDF to compile software for them.

ESP8684 has an ESP32-C2 silicon die packaged together with (some amount of) flash in a 4x4 mm QFN-28 package. Just like the ESP8685, this package doesn't have SPI flash signals bonded out. ESP32-C2 is a lower-end chip compared to ESP32-C3, with less RAM and peripherals. Support for this chip is being added to ESP-IDF at the moment. I can't say yet whether ESP32-C2 will be marketed and sold only as part of ESP8684 package or separately as well.
Is that supported?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:33 am To think of new things again :-)
But working version 1.42 on these devices,
Only use the USB serial converter with your website, or annextoolkit_release-1.1 or "Espeasy Flasher" cannot set anything.

I have soldered the Flash Chip for 8MB several times without thinking, luckily never had any problems with these devices, certainly luck.

The market changes quickly:
Now I found a very cheap board with ESP8684-Wroom-03
Also in this suitable mini board fit for Tuya devices.
What can we expect?
found:
ESP8685 has an ESP32-C3 silicon die packaged together with 2MB flash in a 4x4 mm QFN-28 package. This package doesn't have SPI Flash signals bonded out to package pads.
For comparison, ESP32-C3F2 also has an ESP32-C3 die and 2MB flash, but the package is 5x5mm QFN-32, and SPI Flash signals are bonded out.
For software developers, ESP32-C3F2 and ESP8685 are equivalent, you can use "esp32c3" target in ESP-IDF to compile software for them.

ESP8684 has an ESP32-C2 silicon die packaged together with (some amount of) flash in a 4x4 mm QFN-28 package. Just like the ESP8685, this package doesn't have SPI flash signals bonded out. ESP32-C2 is a lower-end chip compared to ESP32-C3, with less RAM and peripherals. Support for this chip is being added to ESP-IDF at the moment. I can't say yet whether ESP32-C2 will be marketed and sold only as part of ESP8684 package or separately as well.
Is that supported?
No, these chips are not supported.
The ESP8685, as it seems to be an ESP32-C3, could work with the ESP32-c3 firmware version but probably don't in the version with only 2MB. Probably changing the partitioning (removing the OTA, for example) it could work.
The ESP32-C2 is not supported.
Oli

Post by Oli »

I tried to analyze the unusable file system at the ESP8266. It doesn't just seem to affect the 1MB. I tested 2 MB, and also 8MB, with different boards.
With the 1MB, too, I can load, see and delete photo.jpg, up to 220kb is free. However, there are "certain" file sizes when the controller crashes when I make a par 'comments, the file size changes, it works, strangely. By the way, the crash returns with BAS.RESETREASON = 2 (unknown)
It occurs that other files are destroyed. e.g. The config.ini annoying.
It seems more common in smaller flash, but it is not the 4 or 8 MB that are smooth. Never saw such errors at ESP32.
Maybe it is important whether you are copying code and save, or correctly loading the file.

When sample a file that does not want a 8266 controller, you can't even load or save in the editor.

What am I doing wrong ? Maybe Copy Past makes special characters? If I add some lines of comments, the same file works.
Can someone confirm the behavior? from Sample file,

For me this is a very serious problem, the 1.42 is possible, I can't use newer versions,