Integrate Annex-ESP into Homeassistant the easy way

Place code snippets and demo code here
efalken

Re: Integrate Annex-ESP into Homeassistant the easy way

Post by efalken »

hello, quite interessting setup.
I've also got several routers and repeaters in my mesh, but all under one main router.
Maybe two HA instances are an answer for you or even a simple esp-now link sending important notification messages from one network to the other.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Thanks for that.
Yeah, I expect I will need to change things, but I am very limited for viable options.
I developed my own EasyNet protocol way back (long before EspNow was developed) in order to allow all my Annex devices to be able to communicate with each other by name, without the restriction of having to communicate using specific designated IP addresses.

The EasyNet nodes can be addressed by their unique nodename, or by their groupnames (which can consist of multiple concatenated names needing only a partial unique match), or by their IP address, or just by the last node address byte.

The Annex main Sentry alarm (which receives wired sensor signals from the gates 50m away) is inside a cctv control room on a mezzanine floor inside a large metal hanger (previously a commercial vehicle workshop) which prevents radio comms.
We are another 50m behind that big faraday shield which blocks sight and sound of anything/anyone at the gates.

The Sentry alarm has TTS, RTC and SD modules, so whenever the sensors are triggered it speaks text-to-speech announcements through distributed AV cables to several locations. and logs the time of event triggers to a log file.
The crucial functionality is backed up by another Annex device also connected to the sensor wires, which runs exactly the same Sentry program, but falls back to quiet 'standby' mode while the main Sentry is responsive. The standby doesn't have a TTS module, but sends networked alert messages to a third identical Sentry program running in 'Announcer' mode with its own TTS module all inside an amplified speaker, which can be placed wherever is most appropriate.
So if there is a problem with the main Sentry or audio distribution, the standby sentry will promote itself to Main Sentry and send alert announcments to the Announcer across the isolated subnet.

The active Sentry maintains RTC time and acts as a network time server by responding to the groupname "TimeServer" and the instruction "TimeSync".
It also responds to groupnames of "LogServer" and "Announcer", so any networked devices can ask it by name to log time-stamped events and/or issue spoken announcements, without needing to know its specific nodename or IP address.
If the main Sentry stopped responding, the standby sentry would announce and log its change of status then respond to all relevant groupname requests.
IP address are irrelevant, so no IP configuration changes are required.
In fact any module could be transparently replaced or swapped out at any time, which is very different to EspNow.
Although none of the devices need to be aware of any IP addresses, unfortunately I need to connect to them all by their individual IP addresses.
So I'm hoping that after I find a solution to the wifi subnet snobbery, I may be able to bring things together into some handy HA control panels.

BTW, my subnet diagram is several years old now, so much has changed, but the attention to detail just for wifi channel separation speaks volumes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
efalken

Post by efalken »

Wow, impressive. Hope you will find a solution for all of this with HA.
greets
Erhard