Annex on SD

All that relates to the H/W
Electroguard

Annex on SD

Post by Electroguard »

Has anyone used this with Annex from the SD ?
I don't need the cam, but there does not seem much else available with integral SD reader.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... mcM6MUMlpv

espcam.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: Annex on SD

Post by cicciocb »

Yes, it works but there are very few I/O pin available (I think max 2)
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Ta, no 2 gpio's is not enough.
Modded the gas sensor script to record highest and lowest bottle pressures, but discovered this morning that the power had failed overnight.

What about the UNO SD shield, would that work with ESP32 ?

BTW, there is actually an esp32 UNO S3 N16R8 clone available for not a lot of money.
Not much point putting an SD on an N16R8 if it's either one or the other though, rather than both.

sdshield.jpg

unon16r8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Yes, it could work but consider that the uno is 5V
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

From distant memory the esp8266 clone I had years ago was only 3.3v input/outputs, and many 5v arduino shields did not work.

But the SD shield actually includes voltage converters to allow the 3.3v SD reader to work from arduino 5v anyway, so ESP32 UNO may not be a problem.
And if the SD shields battery backup can be made to work, that would be a big bonus.

• SD card interface 3.3v level shifter circuitry prevents damage to your SD card
    Real time clock (RTC) keeps the time going even when for Arduino is unplugged. The battery backup lasts for years
    Onboard 3.3v regulator is both a reliable reference voltage and also reliably runs SD cards that require a lot of power to run

If the SD should work, then UNO S3 N16R8 + SD Shield doesn't break the bank, so I'll give it a go,

Edit: Is ordered - and even if the UNO N16R8 doesn't work with the SD shield, it can be used with a VGA monitor, so is not a bad consolation prize.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Still waiting for various arduino shields, but received the UNO-S3 N16R8 which flashed latest Annex OK, and reports the correct sizes.
Its actually a nice board for the money, especially considering what you get... loads of mem of course, and having the DC jack for directly plugging in 7v to 12v mains adapters is useful, and there's even a connector for an external antenna, plus the bonus of a handy neo-pixel on gpio48,
I think I may still have a couple of proto-shields laying around, and possibly even a plastic UNO case somewhere... can finally make good use of it all.
This is certainly a more useful device than the original arduino UNO, and I'm quite liking this as a sturdy Annex-S3 platform.

UNO-S3-N16R8.jpg
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

62Gb.png

That is an incredible spec Annex S3 UNO clone !!!

Under the cobwebs and dust I found a little SD weirdo, which turned out to be a little beauty from Itead-Studio, with a 3.3v switch, and back-to-back SD and micro-SD readers... https://wiki.iteadstudio.com/Stackable ... hield_V3.0
So it was as simple as plugging into the Annex S3 N16R8 UNO clone, setting SPI numbers in Config Advanced Settings, and plugging in a new 64Gb SD which was all I had handy, and viola... the best Annex UNO on the planet.
Will be even better if the USB port can be used for wifi k/b and mouse while powering it using its DC skt. What a powerful beastie this is turning out to be.

64Gb.png
sd1b.png

The bad news is that the Deek-Robot SD shields don't work without mods, and I can't be bothered to add a level converter module to the proto area.
Cos the good news is that the Wemos D1 Mini Micro SD shield does work just plugging it in with dupont cables, as does a Catalex Micro SD module.
So rather than messing about adding level converter module to deek robot shield, better to add female headers to a UNO proto shield to plug in a Wemos D1 Mini SD shield, or even a doubler or tripler wemos base for plugging in multiple wemos footprint shields.
Was able to order a pack of 5 UNO proto shields complete with unsoldered long pin female headers from Ali today for only a fiver, so can make up all sorts of stackable stuff.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Good news Robin.
However, take care to the size of the SDCARD as I think that the support is limited at 16GB.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Yes, Francesco, I thought the limit was 32Gb, and thought that was what I was actually putting in, but evidently I must have put 32Gb of music into my pillow speaker by mistake last night (I hope LFS is 32Gb, cos just ordered a pack of 5 from amazon today).

BTW, have you come across any way of reading/writing directly to LFS from computer ?
Would be handy to be able to back up an LFS SD that was holding gigabytes of info.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:55 pm Yes, Francesco, I thought the limit was 32Gb, and thought that was what I was actually putting in, but evidently I must have put 32Gb of music into my pillow speaker by mistake last night (I hope LFS is 32Gb, cos just ordered a pack of 5 from amazon today).

BTW, have you come across any way of reading/writing directly to LFS from computer ?
Would be handy to be able to back up an LFS SD that was holding gigabytes of info.
The term "LFS" (Little File System) refers to the files present within the flash of the module, while concerning the SD card, the file system remains "FAT" or FAT32.
To transfer the content from the module to the PC there are several possibility :
- Use of the zip function available in the File Manager
- Use the AnnexToolkit ("File Download" or "FIle Upload" tabs)
- Remove the SD from the module and put on the PC

The last option is probably less practical but it much faster, in particular if you have several gigabytes of info on it.
For your information, I saved my backside :D thanks to the "backup to zip" function recently because an SD card died without any explanation.