Support for parallel TFT displays

Give it a try, it costs you nothing !

Do you think that it worth to implement the support for TFT displays with parallel interface ?

Yes
42%
Neutral
42%
NO
17%

Total votes: 12

cicciocb
Site Admin

Support for parallel TFT displays

Post by cicciocb »

Are you interested for supporting TFT displays with parallel interface?
PeterN

Re: Support for parallel TFT displays

Post by PeterN »

I think the advantages of the ESP32 devices are mainly the serial bus capabilities.
SPI, I2S, I2C and one wire etc. make it very easy to connect devices and modules.
Parallel displays seem to me to be a real special case, which might have its reasons especially in the demanded speed. But maybe my opinion is also influenced a bit by the poor sorting of such displays in my hardware collection.
In contrast: ESP-CAM is an example for a "good" purpose of supporting a parallel bus :-)
BeanieBots

Post by BeanieBots »

Whilst I think the current display support is very good, I've seen quite a few large good quality parallel displays going very cheap.
The ESP has enough IO to support such displays so if it's not too much effort and/or memory consuming, then I think it would be a beneficial addition.
RonS

Post by RonS »

It is the case that most of the individual TFT displays are configured for SPI
- the possibility for parallel control would only affect some special manufactured products, as I linked the other day - but these are beautiful as well as very special individual products -
Modules : 3xESP32-Cam MB (Chip"DM ESP32 S" ),AI-Thinker Audio Kit (ES8388), ESP32 Dev Kit with Display