cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: Where is the new downloads page?

Post by cicciocb »

The question is : what is the url that must be used as starting point
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

The most logical and easiest seems to me the URL of the domain [Local Link Removed for Guests] .
You use it almost intuitively, even if you only want to manually access the forum.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Seems logical for you, but how a newbie can know [Local Link Removed for Guests] ? :lol:

People just click on a link ....
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

So you should definitely and as often as possible set up a HOME button in the header and footer pointing to the preliminary home page, which can also be again the springboard to projects etc. in the future.
And I and others will continue to spread the good news as a short url on paper and online. :-)
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

What about adding a main Annex signpost button into the Editor header bar.
The same button could lead to all the centrally maintained Annex-related links, and only the central page of links would ever need to be maintained.
Even if that browser button link was ever changed the new link would get rolled out to every subsequent version release, same as for F2 Online Help.

New users being introduced to Annex would invariably be shown program code in an Editor page, therefore they will know exactly where to find the consistent Annex signpost button in any versions of Annex which they might use.

It could actually fit in the same size Editors header footprint that is used at the moment, by combining the mutually exclusive Run and Stop buttons into a single toggle, freeing up a button... with the added bonus that the Run/Stop toggle would be a handy indicator of whether the program is still running or is stopped.

EDIT I was wondering what the main signpost button could be called - but it need not be called anything... just the Annex logo would be the most obvious

EDIT2 Sorry for opening Pandoras box Francesco, was only trying to offer a quick and easy solution for a low-maintenance contact solution.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

Can I comment?
Rhetorical question, because I plan to give my opinion anyway.
I only ask that you make an effort to understand me because I don't know English; I express myself through Google Translate and I don't trust it.

I think Annex still has some time left to reach version 2.0, although less and less.
But in the state it is in, it is perfectly usable and there is no shame in presenting it to society. Massively.

- First step. Try to eliminate references to Annex and replace them with Annex32 (or whatever Francesco decides). If you search for "Annex", you will find everything except our Annex.

- Second. Help as many as we can to open a Wikipedia entry about Annex32. I can do it in Spanish, but surely you can in English, French, German, Italian, etc. It is essential to agree beforehand on a basic outline and content. Special attention to the links.

- Third. Disclose access to Annex as much as possible to novices and experts through the page [Local Link Removed for Guests] For once, and contrary to what we are used to, Cicciocb has had a good idea. :lol:

- Fourth. Induce existing artificial intelligence systems to incorporate Annex into their responses when asked how to program ESP32 in Basic language. Surely someone knows how to do it and can direct us.

- Fifth. And this would be the ideal, but I have less and less hope, to be serious about creating a website that replaces the (in the end, chaotic) [Local Link Removed for Guests], with a focus really educational for new users, discarding ESP8266, Toolkit, old programs and obsolete information.

- Sixth. Enter microcontroller/computer forums and let it be known that Annex exists. Or any other means we can think of. I am sure that if the Annex flasher has received 191 visits from Germany, a large part of it is due to PeterN and his work at Elektor. Do you know Hackable Magazine, in France?
Eloclegin

Post by Eloclegin »

Hi
I was away 24hrs. First I would like to say that I did not mean to sound critical. What has been created here is really amazing and I was simply sharing how it looks to the eyes of a relative newcomer… fresh eyes. To try to help make it accessible to more.

<<what is the url that must be used as starting point>>

Probably one first discovers Annex from Google searching and so will inevitably land somewhere deep within [Local Link Removed for Guests], so it is logical to click upwards to the top of this site, (or manually enter [Local Link Removed for Guests]) try to understand overall context from the top and to figure out what is this [Local Link Removed for Guests] site that I have discovered? A few words at the top would help add some context and positioning (see my note at the end)
Once at the top of the site one tries to make sense of the site layout and click down again. So some formal structure layout from the very top is important. Personally I will always return to the top of a site if not able to locate an expected area.

A newcomer will also get pulled to the Practical Tutorials (Electroguard) “getting started and flashing” so this is another location to add link to downloads area. (Do not under-estimate the value of these tutorials to someone who arrives with no idea where to start!)

My comments were intended only to be constructive and helpful. I have discovered and used many “eco systems” over the years … Arduino, Maximite, Micromite, Pico etc and Annex32 is probably the most exciting.

Best wishes to all
Eloclegin

POSITIONING NOTE
if you wish to formally position the site with introductory title, text at the very top then I would suggest the formal positioning formula as proposed by Geoffrey Moore is his famous book “Crossing the Chasm”

“For (target customer) who (statement of need or opportunity), the (product name) is a (product category) that (statement of key benefit that is the compelling reason to use/buy)”
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Thanks for your advices and feedback.

For the moment I simply routed [Local Link Removed for Guests] to the forum

I'll try to implement some of your suggestions in the near future.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

My own view for what it is worth:

It has always been hard to find Annex materials, especially since the demise of the google group. A single landing point "www.annexrds.com" could take a person to:

1 The glossy stuff that has been on cicciocb.com for a while
2 Electroguard's excellent tutorial (which I can no longer find) but is in my view the best way to get started
3 The forum
4 The web installer
5 The help file
6 An archive of earlier versions of the binaries, toolkits and help files in case of need
7 etc.

The problem is that with a volunteer workforce of one person (even if a genius) this may be hard to achieve. Perhaps there is a way to engage some of the increasing number of Annex RDS users in the process?
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:56 am My own view for what it is worth:

It has always been hard to find Annex materials, especially since the demise of the google group. A single landing point "www.annexrds.com" could take a person to:

1 The glossy stuff that has been on cicciocb.com for a while
2 Electroguard's excellent tutorial (which I can no longer find) but is in my view the best way to get started
3 The forum
4 The web installer
5 The help file
6 An archive of earlier versions of the binaries, toolkits and help files in case of need
7 etc.

The problem is that with a volunteer workforce of one person (even if a genius) this may be hard to achieve. Perhaps there is a way to engage some of the increasing number of Annex RDS users in the process?
I think that this is an hopeless request :lol:
I have made several calls for help, especially on the documentation and the website, without success.

That's the life ...