Monitoring and controlling - HOYMILES microinverters

Place your projects here
PeterN

Re: Monitoring and controlling - HOYMILES microinverters

Post by PeterN »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:43 am ...
It is also remarkable: now that it no longer works, the ESP chip is only half as warm - ...

The ESP is mounted in a socket, isn't it?
Have you tried the defective ESP32 module without the special board, e.g. on a breadboard, to exclude a "bad" influence of the given circuit?
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:43 am hi Peter,
i use this :https://www.az-delivery.de/products/az- ... VAQAvD_BwE

the Voltage at the 5V Pin ist exactly 4.994 V !

It is also remarkable: now that it no longer works, the ESP chip is only half as warm - but tomorrow I will receive new modules. then I will reduce the Wifi power first and see what comes - it worked well for a few days
You should check the voltage after the onboard voltage regulator and confirm if you found 3.3V
RonS

Post by RonS »

Hi ciccioCB,
found the 3,335 V at the middle pin of the voltage regulator - so should all be ok..or? . the WIFI part of the module is definitly destroyed
Modules : 3xESP32-Cam MB (Chip"DM ESP32 S" ),AI-Thinker Audio Kit (ES8388), ESP32 Dev Kit with Display
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:16 pm Hi ciccioCB,
found the 3,335 V at the middle pin of the voltage regulator - so should all be ok..or? . the WIFI part of the module is definitly destroyed
Yes, it is normal, but it is very strange that you destroyed 2 modules.
RonS

Post by RonS »

Maybe a bad series, the last thing I bought didn't go at all, but A-Z exchanged it for me without any problems - we will see if the new ons arrived
Modules : 3xESP32-Cam MB (Chip"DM ESP32 S" ),AI-Thinker Audio Kit (ES8388), ESP32 Dev Kit with Display
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:26 pm Maybe a bad series, the last thing I bought didn't go at all, but A-Z exchanged it for me without any problems - we will see if the new ons arrived
And it's really only dead in its WLAN functionality, even if you put it on a separate breadboard?
Very strange!
RonS

Post by RonS »

I haven't tested everything - only the beeper (pin21) it works partially, but wifi is absolutely unstable - also the display works intermittently

It all works well - until that night
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

This behavior (also of the display) leads me back to the power supply. Perhaps this switching regulator is behaving strangely and unstable, even temporarily sending out interfering RF signals.
Maybe it is worth a try to supply the motherboard with an external 5V.
RonS

Post by RonS »

Hi Peter ,
there are No big visible inductors, see attachment , well the modules have arrived earlier than expected - it is now running again -
I have set the wifi power to 5 - so the module is less warm.
Maybe it was cosmic radiation *head-scratching
I've already made some improvements to the code - and as a next idea I'd like to make a graphical representation of the daily generation, does anyone have an approach for ???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

The schematic shows a jumper J1 to disable the onboard 5V switching regulator and supply the board with external 5V.
This as a fallback option if problems are still observed.

For permanent logging in a graph: I'm not an expert in this area, but I recall some useful discussions on this forum about using different methods of logging readings externally. The forum search function will probably help you

Good luck!