6%
NO
20%

Total votes: 35

cicciocb
Site Admin

ESP8266 continued support

Post by cicciocb »

The ESP8266 is now considered obsolete and practically replaced by other devices of the ESP32 family (the direct replacement is the ESP32-c3).

Do you think that it worth to continue the development of this chip including some features present in the ESP32?
Electroguard

Re: ESP8266 continued support

Post by Electroguard »

I am not For, or Against, nor am I Don't Care... cos I very much do care about Annex.
So I'm just offering my point of view for balanced clarity, cos it is not an available choice.

I am not against new development for esp8266, but it seems as pointless an expense of time and effort as developing for extinct Z80, cos will only interest a few dwindling dinosaurs. But if enough dinosaurs are willing to pay for change, then good luck to them. If not, then perhaps something that is already plenty good enough deserves to rest in peace.
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

I loved and hated ANNEX (and also other languages) at the same time on the ESP8266 with its limited resources ... now I just love it with ESP32!

And for some purposes the ESP8266 with Annex will still be THE choice at the current state ... but time does not pass without evolution.
BeanieBots

Post by BeanieBots »

I think there is still plenty of life left in the trusty old ESP8266.
It still remains the cheapest, easy to obtain and still has the major advantage of being the lowest power in standby of all the alternatives.
This makes it the go-to choice for projects such as battery powered remote sensors.
Therefore, I would like to see it carry on getting any reasonable improvements that are feasable such as support for new sensors and any improvements that may arise from new compiler improvements such as speed improvements or code optimisations.
It's always nice to have loads of RAM/FLASH/SPEED but many projects simply don't need it and certainly not at the cost both financially and power wise.
Just my thoughts on the subject.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

I plan to vote NO, but it won't let me access the voting system. Or I don't know how to do it. :evil:
Or could it be that I have already voted and I don't remember? My God, I'm getting worse. :roll:
It makes me sad, because I have had very good times with these small modules and with them I have learned to program in Annex.
But I think that they can still be used for small projects that are not very complicated and that do not require complete reliability in continuous use 24 hours a day and 365 days a year, because they end up failing.
But they can still be used as the Attiny85 still is compared to its bigger brothers.
But it deserves a good farewell: Ask Cicciocb to make one last final build, without adding any new functions or features, but polishing the existing ones as much as possible and removing (at least from the Help manual) those that don't work properly or give more problems than solutions.
For my part, I publish a project about ESP8266 and Annex in the Projects section, as a final tribute.
rmsta

Post by rmsta »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:37 am I plan to vote NO, but it won't let me access the voting system. Or I don't know how to do it. :evil:
Or could it be that I have already voted and I don't remember? My God, I'm getting worse. :roll:
I think if you once clicked to see results, you are not longer able to vote :?:

In general I think time moves on and so workitems should also focus on the newer products as ESP32.
(Although I still have more running ESP8266 than ESP32)
So if there are no major issues in the backlog, in my opinion further versions are not necessary.

Rainer
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

I think if you once clicked to see results, you are not longer able to vote :?:
It's true? Because I'm not really aware of having voted, but I am aware of having clicked on "See results". It has a solution?
Because it can happen to more people...
BeanieBots

Post by BeanieBots »

I can confirm that if you click "see results" you are then unable to vote.
RonS

Post by RonS »

If I invest some money in a project, then I want the current best performance, especially in the WiFi area

The following video shows something of the future of the ESP series

have a nice day Ron

Modules : 3xESP32-Cam MB (Chip"DM ESP32 S" ),AI-Thinker Audio Kit (ES8388), ESP32 Dev Kit with Display
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:26 am If I invest some money in a project, then I want the current best performance, especially in the WiFi area

The following video shows something of the future of the ESP series

have a nice day Ron
Maybe this can explain why I'm mainly playing with the ESP32-S3 ... :D