VGA output - some examples

All about the VGA for the ESP32-S3
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: VGA output - some examples

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:17 pm
[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:33 pm updated to version Annex32-S3 CAN DMT VGA 1.51.1 qio opi LFS. No problem.
Executed the first two examples without problems, with the exception that I had to enter "pause 3000" instructions before the vga.show to see the texts "Transparent Text" and ""Sprites demo 1". If not, skip directly to while loops.
I don't know if it's because of my monitor, but it always happens to me. From the time I launch a program until the image appears, a few seconds pass with a black screen. I've gotten used to inserting those pauses at the beginning of my programs.

On the other hand, can you explain to me the use of the VGA.TEXT.PADDING align statement that appears in the help?
That time is normal, the monitor takes few seconds to synchronise the signal. I forgot to put the pause. For the padding, you can try yourself. Put the value at 500 and then set the colour for the text and the background and then draw the text in the middle of the screen
Sorry, I missed the answer :
There is an error in the documentation, the parameter is not align but width
So the command is VGA.TEXT.PADDING width

- width: This parameter signifies the desired width for the drawn text. It defines the horizontal space that the text will occupy on the screen. By specifying this width, you establish a consistent bounding box for the text to fit within.

The main purpose of "VGA.TEXT.PADDING width" is to ensure that text maintains a consistent visual width, regardless of the content being displayed. This functionality is especially important when replacing or updating text, as it prevents irregular spacing and ensures uniformity in text layout.

By adjusting the width parameter, you achieve a padding effect around the text. This padding ensures that the text occupies the designated width, providing a neat and organized appearance.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:40 pm I have not followed every detail of the new VGA support, so I'm not sure if my next question has been covered before.

I guess it depends on different users and their applications on how they see the benefits of large VGA display.
To me, VGA as a display only, has limited use without interactive input support, keyboard and some sort of mouse support.
I am not technically competent to comment if USB or PS2 type keyboard and mouse could be supported by ESP32.
This could potentially be a true stand alone Annex basic computer.
Or true stand alone interactive user terminal.
Hi,
Yes, we have already discussed the use of an external keyboard. This is something that could be considered for the future. However, I do not foresee Annex being envisioned as either a standalone computer or a standalone terminal. I don't see any interest in including it in such roles.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:45 pm Had a bit of a scare, but managed to upgrade ok after reading the instructions properly.
Have taken a zip backup, so now want to delete all the existing files, and then upload the examples zip.
Then eventually will want to delete all the examples, then restore from my backup zip.
So what is the best way to clear multiple files from the device without having to select each one individually to delete it ?
I suppose an Annex script could do it if necessary, but is there a better way ?
I forgot to say that this version implements an experimental mDNS feature.
Put the name of your module here
image.png
and then try http://yourname (in this case is http://vgaout)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

It works perfectly.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Fernando, does Shift work in your browser for selecting multiple files with the device File Manager ?
And what browser are you using ?
(Control works ok to toggle files in my Firefox and Falkon browsers, but Shift does not select multiple files)
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Robin only CTRL works, so it's normal
Is not enough for you? :D
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Yes Francesco, Control is enough for me now that I know Shift does not actually work as was said - but if Shift had worked, I would have needed to find out how and why it did not work for me.

Is like mDNS, it will be a great asset for some, but I don't need to get it working for me like it obviously does for you and Fernando, cos I am using very old 2.4Ghz routers on my isolated Annex subnet, whereas mDNS will presumably only be supported by more modern routers.
But is not a problem for me anyway, cos am using my own EasyNet name protocol for devices on the Annex subnet to interact with each other.

Got me thinking though... maybe I should use the ample N16R8 memory to keep a table of EasyNet nodenames plus their current IP addresses and maybe even the network instructions they recognise and respond to. It could be another server resource which would respond with the appropriate device info when asked, like the Time server and Weather server.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:28 pm Yes Francesco, Control is enough for me now that I know Shift does not actually work as was said - but if Shift had worked, I would have needed to find out how and why it did not work for me.

Is like mDNS, it will be a great asset for some, but I don't need to get it working for me like it obviously does for you and Fernando, cos I am using very old 2.4Ghz routers on my isolated Annex subnet, whereas mDNS will presumably only be supported by more modern routers.
But is not a problem for me anyway, cos am using my own EasyNet name protocol for devices on the Annex subnet to interact with each other.

Got me thinking though... maybe I should use the ample N16R8 memory to keep a table of EasyNet nodenames plus their current IP addresses and maybe even the network instructions they recognise and respond to. It could be another server resource which would respond with the appropriate device info when asked, like the Time server and Weather server.
No, I think that the mDNS should work also for you
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Been through everything several times, tried Falkon and Firefox browsers, even renamed to vgaout to exactly match example, but no mDNS.
Page is obviously there, but no name resolution, so perhaps is only a windows thing.

weatherConf.jpg

weatherno.jpg

weatherEd.jpg
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

Robin, indeed the multiple selection of files one by one with [Ctrl] only works for me and not from the first to the last with [Shift]. But it is enough for me to solve the inconvenience of saving the files one by one.
Another thing: when I uncheck the "Full Path" and "Recursive" boxes of the "Save to Zip", it actually downloads a zip with all the files in the current directory, but removing the first letter of the name of each file.
image.png
And last thing: If we have decided to open a specific thread for the virtues and defects of the VGA system, why did we end up talking (I was the first) about mDNS, file backup, selection keys...? :D :lol: :lol: