Introducing Annex Version 1.50.8 and New Websites for Updates and Flashing

The Annex CNN channel
cicciocb
Site Admin

Introducing Annex Version 1.50.8 and New Websites for Updates and Flashing

Post by cicciocb »

Hello everyone in the Annex RDS Basic forum!

I am thrilled to announce the launch of the brand-new Annex version, 1.50.8! This release marks a significant step forward from the previous 1.48.22 version, and I'm here to share all the exciting details with you.

What's New in Annex 1.50.8:
I've been hard at work to bring a multitude of fixes and updates that will enhance the stability, performance, and overall functionality of your system. Some of the noteworthy improvements include:

Stability Enhancements: I've addressed numerous bugs and issues that have been reported by users, making the system more reliable than ever.

Performance Upgrades: I've optimized the code to make programs run faster, ensuring quicker response times, a smoother user experience, and more available RAM for enhanced performance.

New Features: I've introduced several new features that will make using Annex even more rewarding and effective.

Websites for Firmware Download and Flashing:
In conjunction with the release of Annex 1.50.8, I'm excited to introduce two new websites that will be incredibly helpful for all users:

Annex RDS Firmware Update: On this website, you'll always find the latest version of the Annex firmware. You can download it with just a few clicks, or you can copy the link for a remote OTA (Over The Air) update of the module.

Annex RDS WEB installer: I've developed an intuitive web application that allows you to flash the module directly from your browser. No need to install additional software on your computer for firmware flashing anymore.

I'm happy to announce that Annex is available for all modules in the ESP32 family, including esp32, esp32-c3, esp32-s2, and esp32-s3.
Whether your module has a USB interface or a USB-to-serial chip, it is covered.

While the list of new features is extensive, let me highlight a few key additions:

Support for new modules such as HX711, BME680 and SI5351, expanding the range of hardware options.
Compatibility with new displays, including GC9A01 TFT and HUB75 DMAmatrix, for enhanced visual experiences.
Most notably, I'm excited to introduce VGA output support of up to 800x600 resolution with 256 colors, opening up new possibilities for your projects.

How to Get the New Version:
To get your hands on the brand-new Annex 1.50.8 version and access the new websites, simply follow the links provided below:

[Local Link Removed for Guests]

I am extremely grateful for your ongoing support and invaluable feedback that help me continuously improve Annex.
I invite you to try out the new version and share your experiences and comments in the dedicated thread for this post.

Thank you once again for being a part of our Annex RDS Basic community!

Best regards,
cicciocb
Electroguard

Re: Introducing Annex Version 1.50.8 and New Websites for Updates and Flashing

Post by Electroguard »

You have been very busy Francesco, thanks for all your efforts.
SteanX

Post by SteanX »

Thanks for the new release Francesco - will check it out!
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

Hi Francesco
This brings the technical possibilities and manageability of Annex, but also the clarity of the project to a fantastic level that will excite and support both the beginner and the old hand.
Thank you!

I'm almost ashamed of two suggestions in light of this great achievement (if I didn't read over them):
- A link to download the toolkit.
- A link to the current online help
AndyGadget

Post by AndyGadget »

This is amazing Francesco.
You really are a very clever chap 😄
rmsta

Post by rmsta »

Thank you so much for this awsome step forward !
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:20 am Hi Francesco
This brings the technical possibilities and manageability of Annex, but also the clarity of the project to a fantastic level that will excite and support both the beginner and the old hand.
Thank you!

I'm almost ashamed of two suggestions in light of this great achievement (if I didn't read over them):
- A link to download the toolkit.
- A link to the current online help
Hi Peter, thanks for your feedback.

The toolkit is on track to become obsolete as it doesn't support all the new firmware versions.

The primary objective of the new websites is to replace the toolkit by suggesting an initial flash using the "Web Installer site," followed by module updates through the available OTA links on the "Firmware Update" site.

For those more experienced, the option to manually download the firmware and use the old toolkit for flashing still exists. However, please note that this toolkit will become outdated and I do not plan to provide updates for it.

Regarding the link to the latest documentation, I can certainly add a link. However, I am currently working on a way to make it automatically synchronize with the most recent updates.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

I have only been able to test it with ESP32 Wemos D1 modules and ESP32-S3 N16R8 modules, which are the ones I had on hand. And works!
Really spectacular. You have even taken care of the detail of detecting when a change is made in the Wifi configuration window and checking the corresponding box to automatically update the NVS.
You will have little mistakes, sure. But we are here to detect and communicate them to you. :lol: ;)
A suggestion: Allow to move the Help popup of the Configuration Form. Now it is in a fixed position and covers the form.
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

Francesco, in his well-known modesty, forgot to mention that the release of Annex V1.50.8 and the brand new web installer and download pages seems to coincide with the welcoming of the 500th very valued member to this friendly forum.

Let's keep spreading the good Annex news around the globe :D
BeanieBots

Post by BeanieBots »

A really significant upgrade with many eagerly awaited features. Thankyou!
For those that have not yet read the changelog, it's packed with new improvements and well worth a read.

Shame about the trusty old download tool but I fully understand why you no longer wish to maintain it.
On the subject of trusty old things, will there be any further progress for the ESP8266 or has that now come to end of life?