Future of Annex RDS?

Recurrent H/W and software problems
EasyRider

Future of Annex RDS?

Post by EasyRider »

I am at a crossroad of deciding if I should continue using Annex RDS, as there are some unresolved bugs and issues that have certain frustrating limitations.

I fully appreciate Francesco's great work on Annex RDS and that it has been a huge personal sacrifice, but there has been some time now without software updates to resolve reported bugs and issues.

This is not a criticism in any way. Simply a question regarding future roadmap for Annex RDS.
If Francesco seriously believes in Annex RDS project, he should let the followers know what the future holds.
Some sort of roadmap and timeline as well as a known list/log of bugs that may be useful to dedicated and other potential followers of Annex RDS.

Best Regards
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: Future of Annex RDS?

Post by cicciocb »

Hi, first of all thanks for your message.

Thanks because I do no consider your message as a negative criticism but more as a positive feedback.
Positive because this means that Annex probably fits your projects and you found it valuable for your needs.

I stopped to publish updates simply because this requires a lot of work for publishing and documenting the updates only to realize that there was a very little general interest and missing feedback.
I can assure you that spending time developing and documenting something that is then ignored does not motivate you to continue.

This do not means that I stopped the development, I simply stopped to publish new public releases.
I enjoy programming with Annex, so I'll keep on developing without the pressure of publishing something that no one is interested in.

I don't know what are the "unresolved snags and frustrating limitations" you are referring to in your message but probably I already fixed these issues.

I'm still motivated to publish new releases and I have a roadmap but I've no timeline
rmsta

Post by rmsta »

Hello,
I think there is a not negligible number (4 digit ?) of users and hobbyists using Annex Basic. They are all working motivated on their own very special home projects. Always thinking about how their application could be improved again and again. So do I.
And with this, a very human behaviour crept in, which in my company is expressed like: "If you don´t hear from a software project, its running well and very smooth." I think it´s very similar with Annex RDS, unfortunately feedback is limited to some questions or problems. - Which also could be helpful.
In my opinion Annex RDS is far ahead of other possibilities like Arduino IDE. I just could inspire 2 friends of mine, who immediately switched over to Annex. Please let all of us be part of this outstanding piece of software also in future.
Regards
Rainer
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:40 pm Hello,
I think there is a not negligible number (4 digit ?) of users and hobbyists using Annex Basic. They are all working motivated on their own very special home projects. Always thinking about how their application could be improved again and again. So do I.
And with this, a very human behaviour crept in, which in my company is expressed like: "If you don´t hear from a software project, its running well and very smooth." I think it´s very similar with Annex RDS, unfortunately feedback is limited to some questions or problems. - Which also could be helpful.
In my opinion Annex RDS is far ahead of other possibilities like Arduino IDE. I just could inspire 2 friends of mine, who immediately switched over to Annex. Please let all of us be part of this outstanding piece of software also in future.
Regards
Rainer
Thanks for your message, I'm probably wrong in my interpretation of the numbers and figures of the forum.
Anyway, I don't give up :D
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

That is very encouraging to hear.
You have obviously put in huge amount of work and expert knowledge to create Anner and would be a real shame if support did not continue.

My 3 main issues that I can remember at the moment with ESP32 are.

1. ILI9341 gui touch not working in latest firmware. I have many ILI9341 SPI displays and gui touch is very important to me.
2. Passing arrays to subs/functions.
3. ESP-NOW LR mode.

To be honest I have not used Annex RDS extensively for some time because of above and don't remember other issues.

It would be good if there was a published log of bugs and issues and any workarrounds until they are resolved by firmware upgrade.

Best Regards
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:08 am
That is very encouraging to hear.
You have obviously put in huge amount of work and expert knowledge to create Anner and would be a real shame if support did not continue.

My 3 main issues that I can remember at the moment with ESP32 are.

1. ILI9341 gui touch not working in latest firmware. I have many ILI9341 SPI displays and gui touch is very important to me.
2. Passing arrays to subs/functions.
3. ESP-NOW LR mode.

To be honest I have not used Annex RDS extensively for some time because of above and don't remember other issues.

It would be good if there was a published log of bugs and issues and any workarrounds until they are resolved by firmware upgrade.

Best Regards
I plan to publish in next days a new release where probably these points should have been fixed.