Obscene amount of Memory

All about the VGA for the ESP32-S3
Electroguard

Obscene amount of Memory

Post by Electroguard »

Lately I've been working on a Sonoff 4CH device cos it has 4 mains relays plus 4 buttons and 4 LEDs, which is really making the most of its 1Mb flash.

Happened to receive an ESP32-S3 N16R8 (16Mb FLASH + 8Mb PSRAM) today, so quickly flashed and checked to make sure was not duped with a lower spec N8R2 device.
(A random sellers link for some info)... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... 78219627_0

The differences in the screen dumps of both devices show the huge amount of extra mem available on the N16R8 compared with the useful Sonoff 4CH.

memtestd.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electroguard

Re: Obscene amount of Memory

Post by Electroguard »

The device is 44 pin, but I cannot find any 44 pin carrier expansion board available yet, so instead of using the 2 strips of supplied pins under for breadboard use, I will use short female headers on top for directly plugging into - I thought it worth mentioning in case anyone needs to also order some short pin female headers.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

The -s3 is THE device to use in the future. A lot of possibilities, I'm actually experimenting a VGA out that use the huge psram available. However there are several combinations of flash and psram that can be quad (qio) or octal (Opi) spi
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Wow, the possibility of VGA on readily available cheap and big VGA monitors has already got me drooling.
I'm also looking forward to the possibility of using USB peripherals and some of the other advanced S3 features if they become available on Annex.

The N16R8 is still available for 7 or 8 euros at the moment, so I already ordered a second one before the price starts getting silly, but I think I need to order another 3 more, so I can justify eventually designing and ordering five 44 pin carrier PCB's. But could also be used with the S3 N8R2 as well I suppose. Damn, minds in over-drive again, so probably another sleepless night.

Cor blimey ... the possibility of a vga monitor plus usb keyboard with Annex in between doing anything we want it to, may not be science fiction!
MarioL

Post by MarioL »

the possibility of a vga monitor plus usb touch screen driver may very happy makers!
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

What do you think of this?

https://www.olimex.com/Products/Retro-C ... e-hardware

It has 8 MB of PSRAM, not 16, but it already incorporates all the paraphernalia of VGA, keyboard, mouse and SD card reader.
They are $15 plus €3.15 for shipping to Spain.

postscript: Forget it, the actual amount is $33. I have not bought it....
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

I was actually ordering it Fernando, but cheapest shipping option to France was 12.50 plus VAT bringing total over 30.00 euros, so I backed out.

Edit: Hah, we found out the same at about the same time.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:48 pm What do you think of this?

https://www.olimex.com/Products/Retro-C ... e-hardware

It has 8 MB of PSRAM, not 16, but it already incorporates all the paraphernalia of VGA, keyboard, mouse and SD card reader.
They are $15 plus €3.15 for shipping to Spain.

postscript: Forget it, the actual amount is $33. I have not bought it....
Take care, this module will it work as it is based on the esp32 and not the esp32 -s3. With the esp32 the video out uses the internal Ram that is not enough.
So, if you plans to use this for annex, do not buy this module
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Thanks for the 'heads up.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

Robin, how about we join forces to find an affordable ESP32 S3 module, including VGA connectors, USB keyboard and mouse, and card reader?
Surely someone will already be working on selling the proposal already assembled.
https://github.com/bitluni/ESP32-S3-VGA or similar.
If we find it, I suggest you jointly buy a couple of modules to send them to Cicciocb.
It sure is a good investment!