Using NEOSCROLL

If doesn't fit into any other category ....
Electroguard

Using NEOSCROLL

Post by Electroguard »

Hi Francesco,

Having received some Lolin 8x8 D1 Mini neo matrix shields, I must say that the neoscroll instructions are an excellent addition to Annex, even though I don't yet know how to use them properly.

is it possible to display a changing character ? - when I try to display a changing number from 0 through to 9 it just stays on zero... can you see in the screendump what I may be doing wrong ?

Nothing is displayed if I try to position text using neoscroll.text.pos 0,0 (which is why it is commented out)... am I using it wrong ?

neomatrix.jpg

The Lolin 8x8 neo shield is very nice BTW, but with a few points worth knowing about:
Red and Green are transposed, as can be seen by the red character shown in the screendump which was supposed to be green - this means that nearly all of the neoscroll.print colour strings do not show as they should ... blues and whites are ok, but everything else is wrong (probably can be corrected in the script by creating a table of required colour names which correspond to the appropriate incorrect colour characters).
Also, R,G,B values are inconsistent - when displaying a white character, brightness values 33 or above show up as white, but brightness of 32 shows up yellow, 31 to 29 show as green, and brightness values of less than 29 do not show at all.
Data IN connects to D4, but Data Out is not routed to any pin - although a DOUT data pad allows soldering a wire to a chosen gpio pin if wished.
It's a very nice D1 Mini shield though, despite it's quirks, and I am looking forward to accumulating a few useful images that can be displayed as icons.

lolin8x8s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyGadget

Re: Using NEOSCROLL

Post by AndyGadget »

I've got a couple of those Lolin 8x8 displays on the slow boat from China at the moment so haven't had a chance to fiddle yet, but what I found with the LINEARBLEND commands was that the colours need to be set using the NEO.RGB function. If I used discrete R,G,B values I was getting the red/green reversal.
Last edited by AndyGadget on Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Thanks Andy, that suggests that the R,G problem might actually be in the Annex neo drivers instead of the Lolin module.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:27 pm Hi Francesco,

Having received some Lolin 8x8 D1 Mini neo matrix shields, I must say that the neoscroll instructions are an excellent addition to Annex, even though I don't yet know how to use them properly.

is it possible to display a changing character ? - when I try to display a changing number from 0 through to 9 it just stays on zero... can you see in the screendump what I may be doing wrong ?

Nothing is displayed if I try to position text using neoscroll.text.pos 0,0 (which is why it is commented out)... am I using it wrong ?

neomatrix.jpg

The Lolin 8x8 neo shield is very nice BTW, but with a few points worth knowing about:
Red and Green are transposed, as can be seen by the red character shown in the screendump which was supposed to be green - this means that nearly all of the neoscroll.print colour strings do not show as they should ... blues and whites are ok, but everything else is wrong (probably can be corrected in the script by creating a table of required colour names which correspond to the appropriate incorrect colour characters).
Also, R,G,B values are inconsistent - when displaying a white character, brightness values 33 or above show up as white, but brightness of 32 shows up yellow, 31 to 29 show as green, and brightness values of less than 29 do not show at all.
Data IN connects to D4, but Data Out is not routed to any pin - although a DOUT data pad allows soldering a wire to a chosen gpio pin if wished.
It's a very nice D1 Mini shield though, despite it's quirks, and I am looking forward to accumulating a few useful images that can be displayed as icons.

lolin8x8s.jpg
Robin as the fonts loaded follows the Adafruit format, the reference point is not at the top left but at the bottom left.
This means that you must specify
neoscroll.text.pos 0,7 instead of neoscroll.text.pos 0, 0

Even if is not clear, this is specified in the help file
NEOSCROLL.TEXT.POS x, y
Set the position where the text will be drawn. By default the position is set at the bottom left of the display to comply with the Adafruit GFX font format that use the lower position of the font as reference.

About the colors, probably your display use a different color sequence (they use the WS2812B-2020).
edit:
I'll check as, looking in the datasheets, the WS2812B-2020 leds should follow the same color sequence of the classic WS2812B.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Thanks Francesco, knowing the strange Adafruit 0,7 origin logic allows the Lolin 8x8 neo matrix to become a useful project display option.
https://odysee.com/@Electroguard:d/countup:0
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Something to be aware:
Although the Lolin 8x8 modules plug into any D1 Mini footprint device and fit very well, the Adafruit display origin effectively places them on their side... therefore plugging in several modules into a 'doubler' or 'tripler' base would be placing them end to end rather than side by side.
There are only 4 connections per module though (5V, Gnd, Din, Dout), so it is relatively easy to hard wire them side by side on stripboard or perfboard.

MULTIPLES.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.