New version 1.48.2 to test before final release

Here you'll find the updated available
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: New version 1.48.2 to test before final release

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:12 pm CiccioCB might get disheartened like any of us. but he is not a quitter.
Therefore he's not likely to throw in the towel, but he'll go in whatever direction he chooses rather than be constrained by the interests of others.
Annex is pretty damned good, so perhaps we should accept the possibility that it may be as good as it gets... and that anything else which may come along would be added bonus. None of the existing Annex capability depends on progress, so even if its creator retired tomorrow, it will still always remain just as effective as it already is.

Not so for the Annex community though, which is totally dependent on the contributions of CiccioCB and a few others to keep it alive.
Everyone who uses Annex appreciates it, which is why they are using it - so laud CiccioCB with words or contributions if you wish... but the best way to actually show appreciation for Annex and keep its community alive is for users to post their own contributions to show what they can do with it.
The more projects and examples that are published, the greater the interest and encouragement for others, plus offering additional new creativity to attract new users.

Don't be too embarrassed to publish your creation even though it may not be a polished work of art... because it only needs to contain one thing that someone finds helpful to make it worthwhile... and perhaps it may result in some kindly suggestions for welcome improvements.
Not everyone can produce quality projects and examples, but that should not invite judgemental negative opinion or criticism.
We all started out the same before taking different paths, and none of us are perfect whatever we've learned along the way, but only those with the courage to keep learning by their mistakes will still make progress.

There is no right way or wrong way, cos if it works for you in the absence of anything better, then it must obviously be right for you, irrespective of potential for improvement. And if you found it useful for your purposes, then so may others with similar needs.

That is what the Practical Workshop Tutorials are: https://sites.google.com/site/annexwif ... rd-lessons
Simply a collection of 'trial & error' examples which were published for the benefit of others in the absence of anything else.
They are not particularly right or wrong or ideal, merely the best I could do at that time, when everything was on a steep learning curve.
A 'community' needs more than a handful of individuals though, so perhaps others can find something there to inspire an idea that they might publish.

Even non-programmers could contribute by helping to create a list of firmware versions with any noteworthy changes of functionality... such as newly introduced capabilities, or perhaps newly introduced bugs etc.
It could enable users to check through a list for the best firmware version to suit their purposes, which isn't necessarily the latest.
For instance, Annex (esp8266) uses gpio2 for WS2812B neo-pixels, but I seem to remember that earlier versions could be assigned a different pin... so if none of the later features are needed then perhaps an earlier firmware might be better for plugging in a Wemos D1 Mini neo-pixel led shield whose pcb track does not go to pin 2. Similarly for earlier versions with working functionalities which might have got broken in subsequent updates.

CiccioCB is the creator of Annex, but the Annex community is the rest of us, so the survival of the Annex community depends on our contributions, not Francesco.
Thanks Robin for your message, in fact it is hard for me to understand if it worth to continue into the distribution or continue on my way without being constrained to document and simplify as much as possible for the benefit of the group.
I continue to love and develop annex but I constantly feel like it doesn't interest anyone and what I do is just ignored.
For example, In the last version, I included a function to save files locally; I thought this was a great feature but I got zero feedback, not even a word.
Seen the "non success" of the Online Flasher, I finally decided to continue into the development of the AnnexToolkit to include the support for the new devices but I fear that will be the last update I'll do.
Even this discussion only reinforces my feeling that this only interests a limited number of people and therefore it is probably time to change direction.
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

Well, I'll try to look at the situation from a slightly different angle:

With Annex, there is a great programming language that runs on at least the most common variants of the ESP32 and ESP8266. And even some exotic hardware variants find support. The programming environment is updated quite regularly. The most common hardware peripherals are supported. The range of functions of the BASIC interpreter is fantastic and grows occasionally.

The access to Annex is not quite trivial but via a forum and not only via an anonymous download button on a website. Sometimes it is not so easy to orientate oneself in the jungle of the forum. Therefore, one might wish for a nicer website that would make it easier for newcomers to get an overview and get started and easily download the latest version of annex.
Nevertheless, there is a proud number of about 500 people who are interested in Annex so much that they are occasionally registered in the forum and probably also use Annex on very many ESPs ... and appreciate it very much. And I observed a large interest every time I had the opportunity to mention annex in a print media.
A fairly constant group steps out of the pure user shadow and likes to discuss their experiences, hardware and software projects in the forum and also helps to solve programming problems and track down bugs.
Everyone involved is always very happy when the developer could invest his scarce time back into the Annex hobby and present his fresh ideas. He tirelessly adapts the software to new SDKs. He keeps the libraries uptodate and struggles with their problems. He uses new ways to distribute the software. He fixes software bugs. He expands the feature set. And he even answers, as fast as he can and always friendly, all the questions that arise in the forum .
Sometimes CiccioCB has to ask the often somewhat sluggish users more intensively for help and feedback, because the users are quite normal people and therefore unfortunately often behave very human, which is sometimes certainly not easy to forgive.

But I think this condition and the result is not so bad!!!

If I may, I will continue to contribute my best and gladly use Annex, which has given me a few gray hairs, but above all a great many wonderful hobby hours.

Please, keep up the good work Francesco!
bugs

Post by bugs »

Guilty of not commenting on the (welcome) addition of the file load/save to local pc.
The simple reason is that I have difficulty interpreting icons and pictures and always use the "Load" and "Save" buttons because I can read!
When I tested 1.47 I rather expected the pc location to appear when I used these buttons but just shrugged and blamed my setup when only the ESP filing system was shown. After the post today I had another look and eventually discovered the extra icons on the row below the Save/Load buttons and sure enough they worked. And I have already found that useful.
So apologies from this Icon-blind user and thanks.
AndyGadget

Post by AndyGadget »

I'm another one. I immediately used the 'save to zip' function once it appeared and been using the transfer from PC since.
Many thanks for that and the other capabilities you've slipped in. I really love the ability to define your own GPIO pins for the various functions.

Looking at the forum and the stats for the online flasher, the user base seems to be dominated by UK / European Annex users. The US appears to be under represented. One of the Maker sites with a vast US following is Instructables (where I posted my earthquake monitor project) and I think an article on there devoted entirely to Annex as an easy entry alternative to the Arduino IDE for ESP programming would expand the Annex forum greatly. The article would be aimed at people who are put off by the steep learning curve of the Arduino IDE and combat the frustration inexperienced programmers must feel when faced with endless error messages relating to unmatched brackets or incorrect type definitions.

I would be willing to put together such an article to demonstrate some of the capabilities of Annex but I think at the moment a sticking point would be getting the Annex installation onto the user's devices in the first place.
I personally prefer the old flasher, but the online flasher would be an almost instant 'get you going' solution which would have a new user writing their first program in a few minutes. If the additional parameters (IP address etc) could be set as well, that would be a massive help.

Francesco, basically what I'm saying is get 1.48.x released and put it in a form that a new user can easily install (either the online flasher or as a full release zip package including the old flasher) and I'll do my best to try and increase the visibility of Annex to the Maker community :D
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

Francesco, what could I tell you that other forum members haven't already told you?
Perhaps that your project is the best I've found in years, that it still seems like magic to be able to write, modify and execute a program in a few moments, without compilations, cables dangling from the computer, unruly serial-USB ports, and, above all, a real and working alternative to the overrated C language of the Arduino.
These days I am adapting some Arduino libraries to handle the 7-segment MAX7219 in Annex, (which I think in your implementation can only control a single module, not several in cascade), and it amazes me that 870 lines of cumbersome and abstruse C code can be realized in just 100 of Annex.
And that the life of programming languages is a little like that of people, who, from a youthful youth full of strength and optimism, go through a "40s" stage, in which we consider everything and doubt ourselves. themselves and life in general. Until you reach old age, in which you understand that it did make sense.
My native language is Spanish from Spain and I doubt that what I'm writing makes much sense in other languages thanks to the damn (and essential) Google translator, so I'm posting the original on the Spanish forum and this translation here.
As a small sample of how I value your work, I ask you to visit some web pages that I am writing about your project. It's just a sketch, a little preview of what I want to do, but it could be used to bring your current and past binaries up to date.
If, in addition, any of you want to publish an article there, just send me the text and images in a Word or similar.

https://www.myrapidq.it/magazine/
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Thanks to all for your supporting answers, it is really motivating for me to know that I did something useful for other people.
Anyway, to be clear, I'm not saying that I want stop the project, simply change its direction toward something more stimulating for me, for example using the "c" or python as a baseline language instead of basic (that is so much hated in the today's world :D ).

If someone would help me, It could be the occasion to build a real web site that I just initiated but never really started.
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:10 pm Thanks to all for your supporting answers, it is really motivating for me to know that I did something useful for other people.
Anyway, to be clear, I'm not saying that I want stop the project, simply change its direction toward something more stimulating for me, for example using the "c" or python as a baseline language instead of basic (that is so much hated in the today's world :D ).

If someone would help me, It could be the occasion to build a real web site that I just initiated but never really started.
It's your decision, Francesco ... nobody can stop you :-) ... but C and Micropython are really worn out on this platform, aren't they? And maybe we need to introduce the world much more to the beauty and durability of BASIC after all ;-)

I wish I could tell you right now that I can help you build a new website - but that's not my strongest point. But I think it's very important to create a good flagship.
AndyGadget nailed it when he pointed out the potential US users. I just see a lot of people from Europe in the user list . Maybe we could take another shot at Instructables and hackster, Elektor-LAB etc to make ANNEX a bit more popular in the small rest of the world :-)
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:11 pm It's your decision, Francesco ... nobody can stop you :-) ... but C and Micropython are really worn out on this platform, aren't they? And maybe we need to introduce the world much more to the beauty and durability of BASIC after all ;-)

I wish I could tell you right now that I can help you build a new website - but that's not my strongest point. But I think it's very important to create a good flagship.
AndyGadget nailed it when he pointed out the potential US users. I just see a lot of people from Europe in the user list . Maybe we could take another shot at Instructables and hackster, Elektor-LAB etc to make ANNEX a bit more popular in the small rest of the world :-)
I was thinking about a "C" interpreter like Annex and not a compiler like Arduino.

Anyway, spreading Annex as much as possible could be a good thing, but a good website is mandatory to appear serious :D
Palm Liu

Post by Palm Liu »

Annex RDS is great, easy to use.

I'm teaching a hobby group working on Gundam modelling who want to add WS2182 LED & PWM LED on Gundam model.
Most of them are non-programmer(one member is my son!), but they can do some simple lighting effect using (of coursce I do all the firmware setup & wiring to them :D ) :

NEO.SETUP ...
WHILE 1
FOR i = ....
NEO.STRIP ...
NEO.PIXEL ...
PWM(x) = y ...
NEXT
WEND

I think the STRONG point of Annex RDS is simple to use!
BeanieBots

Post by BeanieBots »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:11 pm It's your decision, Francesco ... nobody can stop you :-) ... but C and Micropython are really worn out on this platform, aren't they? And maybe we need to introduce the world much more to the beauty and durability of BASIC after all ;-)
My centiments too. I think there are plenty of alternatives for C and don't think 'interpreted' C would be much of a hit when up against compiled.
I think the main attraction to Annex is the fact that it IS BASIC. Maybe I'm just old fashioned and despair when typing "void { }" and maybe BASIC is a dying language but I think it is what makes Annex stand out from the crowd. (and obviously the browser based code editor).
The recent performance enhancement has made Annex BASIC a real contender for processor intensive work. Not to mention the language enhancements such as do/loop, select/case and others which enable BASIC to fit the more generally accepted structure of other languages.
Again, maybe a poll to see what others think?