VGA + VS1053B

Place your projects here
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: VGA + VS1053B

Post by cicciocb »

No, I focused mainly on the music playing stuff, not yet played with the MID playing
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:40 pm ... it work with nearly all the streams I tested, in particular with the aac and chunked Https
So might it be possible to create eg: a chunked Https stream from an Annex with Text-2-Speech module which could be streamed to any available Annex VS1053B listeners ?

I have already designed the PCBs (see note below) to enable my strategically located VGA monitors with cheapo KVMs to switch between CCTV and WeatherStation/SmartClock. Thanks to your S3 VGA they will eventually be able to automatically switch to show Sentry alerts or important Weather alerts and other important information.
It would be even more ideal if those devices could also receive streamed spoken TTS Sentry Alerts and important Weather info etc.

Edit: Couldn't find a VS1053B module, but didn't want to linger longer after stepping on a kittens foot which got underfoot - so ordered a couple more, both red with SD, but one with inline connector, the other an arduino shield.

PCB Note.
I've discovered a JLCPCB BOM processing error which significantly increases the total weight, greatly increasing the total cost.
Eg: 10 PCBS only cost €7.17 by themself with slow delivery, but choosing the assembly option to include just the 8 SMT VGA resistors, bumps up the cost to €39.03. This is not due to exorbitant manufacturing costs, it's because a BOM processing error caused the weight to jump from 0.29kg to 8.1kg
I spent all of yesterday documenting the problems (at least 2 faults) and notifying them, so hopefully the problems should eventually be corrected.
Until then I will wait, cos I would rather not manually solder 80 resistors if I can help it.
If others have noticed higher than expected assembly costs, this could explain why
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:29 am
[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:40 pm ... it work with nearly all the streams I tested, in particular with the aac and chunked Https
So might it be possible to create eg: a chunked Https stream from an Annex with Text-2-Speech module which could be streamed to any available Annex VS1053B listeners ?
The VS1053B is not a requirement for the sound / voice as the ESP32 is already able to manage alone.

The VS1053B is just an enabler for compressed audio formats as it includes the support for most of the audio formats (mp3, aac, ogg, flac, ...).
To implement the same functionalities, this should require a lot of code / licenses / CPU resources.

So, for an intercom application, this module is not required.

p.s. :
I have this module
image.png
and this one
image.png
Pay attention that the first (green) module is very often a VS1003B (cheaper) and not a VS1053B.
Check in the description in the bottom of the aliexpress page to confirm.
I got tricked too because I received the VS1003B instead of the VS1053B but this, at least, enabled me to include the support for these modules (but only for mp3)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:05 pm I do not have the Arduino version (red) but the green one with an audio connector and line in, but I have not tried it yet due to possible problems with audio gnd, I read on the TheBackShed.com forum and also a possible solution.
I haven't gotten around to building the VGA version yet either. Being able to flash the internal components and the firmware. I'm busy with many things at the same time.

Jan
The VS1053B is implemented since the version 1.49.2 (June last year) but I never documented it :lol: .
You don't need an esp32-S3 and there are no particular problems for the output if you use external speakers or headphones.

And yes, avoid to connect the output GND to the common GND (as suggests the datasheet)
image.png
Version 1.49.2
- Replaced the filesystem from FFAT to LITTLEFS (except for the ESP32).
- Changed the TEMPR$ function to include async mode.
- Changed the sleep argument from uint_32 to uint64_t (no more limited at 71 minutes).
Fileman Page
- Implemented recursive file deleting (including all files inside folders).
- Implemented upload of .zip format files (extracted and uploaded).
Implemented the WPUT$ function for HTTP PUT.
Implemented 2 new CONVERT functions:
- CONVERT.TO_BCD(x) -> convert from integer to BCD (1 byte).
- CONVERT.FROM_BCD(x) -> convert from BCD to integer (1 byte).
Increased the number of external fonts loadable (TFT.LOADFONT) from 2 to 4.
- Useful for TFT. and NEOSCROLL.
- Fonts numbered 10 to 13.
Included the flash mode and the PSRAM mode in the version number (except for the ESP32).
Fixed TM1638 button S5 to S8 issues (in the driver).
Fixed IRREMOTE for ESP32-C3 (new libraries 2.8.4).
Experimental (to be documented):
Implemented support for DMAMATRIX (ESP32-S3 only).
Implemented support for VS1053 (ESP32 only).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

This is the schematic of what I'm actually using for the ESP32-S3 testing.
The pinout is for the "green" module.
image.png
As you can see, the VS1053B simply shares the SPI bus plus 3 other signals; you can use any pins and the same logic can be done for the ESP32.

The commands are very simple :
'Setup of the module
VS1053.setup XCS_pin, XDCS_pin, DREQ_pin

'reset the module
VS1053.reset

'play a file from the disk (all audio format supported)
vs1053.play filename$

'play a web radio
vs1053.stream stream$

'stop playing
vs1053.stop

'change the volume
vs1053.volume vol

A very very basic example (using the pinout as in the schematic for the esp32-s3):

Code: [Local Link Removed for Guests]

vs1053.setup 38, 39, 40
vs1053.volume 5

url$ = ""
url_p$ = ""
onHtmlReload webpage
OnHtmlChange webchange
gosub webpage

vs1053.stream "https://radioitaliasmi.akamaized.net/hls/live/2093120/RISMI/stream01/streamPlaylist.m3u8"
wait

webpage:
cls
html "web url " + textbox$(url$, "me")
css cssid$("me", "width:700px")
return

webchange:
wlog HtmlEventVar$
if (url_p$ <> url$) then
  vs1053.stream url$
  url_p$ = url$
end if
return
For the Radio Streams, you can take "inspiration" from here :D
Jan Volk

Post by Jan Volk »

I have an M5STACK in my collection (the black version) and if this works it will make a big improvement in terms of sound because the built-in speaker is not much good.

Jan
Jan Volk

Post by Jan Volk »

I have the green one in the image, so it's the right one.

Jan
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

It work with any ESP32, including the M5Stack.

You could also use an I2S DAC to have a real wifi quality
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

I couldn't help but laugh at the extravagance of 3 different displays, Mr Wizard, and the plethora of attached devices.
Have you tried pairing the sounds to a bluetooth speaker device yet ?

We sometimes take the power of Annex for granted, so I like to sometimes re-appreciate how quick and easy it is to produce such powerful versatility.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:07 pm I couldn't help but laugh at the extravagance of 3 different displays, Mr Wizard, and the plethora of attached devices.
Have you tried pairing the sounds to a bluetooth speaker device yet ?

We sometimes take the power of Annex for granted, so I like to sometimes re-appreciate how quick and easy it is to produce such powerful versatility.
:D
It is my test board so I can connect and test easily whatever I want.

The nice thing is that you can use ALL the displays at the same time :lol: (not a real utility, I agree )

The same for the sound so I can evaluate the differences between the I2S and the VS1053B instantaneously