Problems with the online installer

Recurrent H/W and software problems
Fernando Perez

Problems with the online installer

Post by Fernando Perez »

Last night I tried to flash a WeMos D1 Mini ESP32 module at [Local Link Removed for Guests], which I have used other times without problems.
I got this message:
image.png
To confirm that it was not caused by a fault with the card, I tried 9 others of the same type, but with different contents: With the factory contents, used with Arduino, formatted with Annex...
Same result in all. Although occasionally, randomly, I recognized some card. When I repeated the process, it gave the error again.
I was careful to disconnect and reconnect the card each time, update the website, delete the traces left by the attempts: everything I could think of.
image.png
And the cards were perfect as I could verify by loading Annex on some of them using the old Toolkit.
This morning, same cards, opposite result: Recognizes them all without problems on the first try.
This afternoon, as I write this, it doesn't recognize any.
Is it my problem or general? Could it be that your server is getting overwhelmed by too many people trying to use the installer?
How many devices can it handle simultaneously?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyGadget

Re: Problems with the online installer

Post by AndyGadget »

It's been mentioned before, but have you tried a different USB cable? I've got one which I know gives similar results to you.
I've got a known good cable (short and chunky) I keep just for Annex flashing.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:23 pm Last night I tried to flash a WeMos D1 Mini ESP32 module at [Local Link Removed for Guests], which I have used other times without problems.
I got this message:

image.png

To confirm that it was not caused by a fault with the card, I tried 9 others of the same type, but with different contents: With the factory contents, used with Arduino, formatted with Annex...
Same result in all. Although occasionally, randomly, I recognized some card. When I repeated the process, it gave the error again.
I was careful to disconnect and reconnect the card each time, update the website, delete the traces left by the attempts: everything I could think of.

image.png

And the cards were perfect as I could verify by loading Annex on some of them using the old Toolkit.
This morning, same cards, opposite result: Recognizes them all without problems on the first try.
This afternoon, as I write this, it doesn't recognize any.
Is it my problem or general? Could it be that your server is getting overwhelmed by too many people trying to use the installer?
How many devices can it handle simultaneously?
Fernando,
the problem is on your side, the server is not involved into the flashing process, all is done locally by your browser.
Is the browser that "loads" the binary from the server and then flashes the module.

Probably the cable, as raised by Andy .
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

Thanks, Andy, but that's not it. Just in case, I changed the cable with the same result right now.
In any case, I assumed it wasn't that since ALL the cards communicate perfectly through the serial port, through which I see the dump at the beginning.
Not so with the Annex web Terminal [Local Link Removed for Guests] which is also failing me.

Or it is my equipment, my network, my provider, the Cicciocb server or a service saturation.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

Apart from trying other PCs and other browsers, I can't think of anything else. The problem seems to be that the installer tries to connect to my boards and within a few seconds it responds with that error message (a timeout?), so the options to select software, versions, or anything don't even appear.
And I'm surprised that this morning it worked.
I will go to bed early and get up very early. :lol: :lol:
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:53 pm Thanks, Andy, but that's not it. Just in case, I changed the cable with the same result right now.
In any case, I assumed it wasn't that since ALL the cards communicate perfectly through the serial port, through which I see the dump at the beginning.
Not so with the Annex web Terminal [Local Link Removed for Guests] which is also failing me.

Or it is my equipment, my network, my provider, the Cicciocb server or a service saturation.
Fernando, as I said the flash involves only your PC, the server is not part of the process so cannot be the cause of the problem.

Refreshing the web page, restarting the browser or restarting the PC should fix the problem.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

Tested on a different PC, Edge, Chrome and Opera browsers. Same mistake. I connected once from Chrome, but when I tried again with the same card I couldn't.
Anyway, if it doesn't happen to anyone else, it's obviously my problem.
If I solve it I will let you know what I did.
Rihards

Post by Rihards »

Hi,

I got the same problem trying to flash D1 mini, Esp8266MOD AI-Thinker

Is there a solution?
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:05 pm Hi,

I got the same problem trying to flash D1 mini, Esp8266MOD AI-Thinker

Is there a solution?
image.png
You must put manually the GPIO0 to GND (or press and hold on the boot button) while connecting the module to the PC.
Rihards

Post by Rihards »

Solved, did it with offline flasher.