Problems with the online installer

Recurrent H/W and software problems
Electroguard

Re: Problems with the online installer

Post by Electroguard »

nogo.jpg

I get the same message when trying to flash S2's. Been getting it for ages. But I think it is a generic message for not being able to read the device.
I've had it when using chromium on linux many times, and also chrome on windows10 on a different computer a couple of times. Most devices flash ok, but there are nine s2's that will not flash, some brand new, but some with old Annex versions which did previously flash originally using windows toolkit.
I have four s2's in constant use cos of their psram, but they are flashed with old Annex versions, and I dare not try to update them cos I have no spares left.

It's definitely not a USB cable problem, I have definite good usb cables labelled for flashing with, but I also have some plastic plug-in one-piece usb adapters which are perfect with s3's etc, but nothing works on those nine s2's (or a few other various devices). I've even used a usb monitor to see if there was anything strange with the usb voltage or current when trying to flash, but voltage was 5v and current was negligable.
And I've been keeping the button pressed in so long and hard during attempted flashing that it hurts my fingers.
There's nothing else left to try, so I've had to give up on them.
In fact I am in the process of trying to design an s3 n16r8 uno to s2 interface pcb so I am no longer reliant on the s2's.

I have no complaints about not being able to flash nine s2's cos I'm more than happy with what I've got - but it seems that I'm not the only one that is experiencing flashing problems... so either I have been particularly unlucky in having nine faulty s2's, or there must be something else that is not-computer or usb-cable specific which is causing a problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:03 pm nogo.jpg

I get the same message when trying to flash S2's. Been getting it for ages. But I think it is a generic message for not being able to read the device.
I've had it when using chromium on linux many times, and also chrome on windows10 on a different computer a couple of times. Most devices flash ok, but there are nine s2's that will not flash, some brand new, but some with old Annex versions which did previously flash originally using windows toolkit.
I have four s2's in constant use cos of their psram, but they are flashed with old Annex versions, and I dare not try to update them cos I have no spares left.

It's definitely not a USB cable problem, I have definite good usb cables labelled for flashing with, but I also have some plastic plug-in one-piece usb adapters which are perfect with s3's etc, but nothing works on those nine s2's (or a few other various devices). I've even used a usb monitor to see if there was anything strange with the usb voltage or current when trying to flash, but voltage was 5v and current was negligable.
And I've been keeping the button pressed in so long and hard during attempted flashing that it hurts my fingers.
There's nothing else left to try, so I've had to give up on them.
In fact I am in the process of trying to design an s3 n16r8 uno to s2 interface pcb so I am no longer reliant on the s2's.

I have no complaints about not being able to flash nine s2's cos I'm more than happy with what I've got - but it seems that I'm not the only one that is experiencing flashing problems... so either I have been particularly unlucky in having nine faulty s2's, or there must be something else that is not-computer or usb-cable specific which is causing a problem.
Are you following the instructions included into the help ?
I have many -S2 that can be flashed without problems if I follow the procedure :D
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Yes Francesco, I have tried everything, many times.

I don't have difficulty establishing the connection, that's why I just tried it again so I could include the screenshot showing that the device is acknowledged in the flasher as being paired at the default low speed... showing 'connected successfully'
I have tried pressing the reboot RST button while holding the flashing button, and I have even held the flashing button while inserting the USB cable.
Had tried many times over the last year, but had to give up... the only reason I mentioned it here was because Fernando opened this topic, therefore I was letting him know he is not going mad (or not about his online flasher problem, anyway).

I seem to remember having a flashing session of s2's over a year ago on Margarets win 10 laptop and chrome, cos the online flasher wasn't working on my mx linux. I think we flashed about 4 out of 6 on her laptop, so I ordered a load more for the benefit of the extra system ram it gives.
But I don't think I have been able to successfully flash any s2's since then, not the remaining few originals, or any of the new.

The online flasher does now work well on mx linux with chromium, but not on the nine s2's.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Francesco, I already have 2 useless c3's that were either badly designed or badly manufactured (which was 100% failure rate).
So nine faulty s2's out of about 15 would not be hugely surprising.
If you wish, I can gladly send you my un-flashable s2's if you want to run any tests on them for yourself... cos they aint no good to me.
If they are faulty on your system, perhaps you could trigger a more specific failure message from the flasher.
If you want me to send them, let me know by carrier pigeon, or email, or whatever.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:02 pm Yes Francesco, I have tried everything, many times.

I don't have difficulty establishing the connection, that's why I just tried it again so I could include the screenshot showing that the device is acknowledged in the flasher as being paired at the default low speed... showing 'connected successfully'
I have tried pressing the reboot RST button while holding the flashing button, and I have even held the flashing button while inserting the USB cable.
Had tried many times over the last year, but had to give up... the only reason I mentioned it here was because Fernando opened this topic, therefore I was letting him know he is not going mad (or not about his online flasher problem, anyway).

I seem to remember having a flashing session of s2's over a year ago on Margarets win 10 laptop and chrome, cos the online flasher wasn't working on my mx linux. I think we flashed about 4 out of 6 on her laptop, so I ordered a load more for the benefit of the extra system ram it gives.
But I don't think I have been able to successfully flash any s2's since then, not the remaining few originals, or any of the new.

The online flasher does now work well on mx linux with chromium, but not on the nine s2's.
I think that lyizb is using almost exclusively these modules, maybe he can report his personal experience here.

I've just saw that around 130 ESP32-S2 modules have been flashed using the online flasher by many people around the world, so I can consider this working.

For curiosity, I tried again with one "brand new" module and it worked at the first try.

I've even tried with ubuntu in a virtual machine under windows and it works too
image.png
For information, this is the procedure I'm applying :
1) connect the module to the PC using a USB-C cable
2) Hold the "boot" button (0)
3) Press and release on the reset button
4) continue to hold the "boot" button and click on "Connect" in the online flasher

The module is reported as below under windows :
image.png
And is reported as below under Linux (Ubuntu):
image.png
lyizb

Post by lyizb »

I have indeed been successfully flashing a number of the ESP32 S2Minis using the online flasher--probably 8 or so of them now.

I press the pin 0 button before plugging in the USB, connect, select firmware (S2 options only presented), set up config, check all the boxes, and flash successfully. Originally I held down the pin 0 button until completion, but have found that I can release it after flashing starts (maybe sooner, but I haven't tried).

Although the firmware flashes successfully, even after power cycling the S2Mini never comes up with the fixed IP address I have given it. It does present on 192.168.4.1. I can connect my WIFI there and then, with the browser, look at the config page (which always looks entirely right), and click save and reboot.

Sometime I have to repeat going to 192.168.4.1 several times, but every S2Mini I have tried eventually comes up at the IP I have specified, and thereafter never again has a problem connecting.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:51 am I have indeed been successfully flashing a number of the ESP32 S2Minis using the online flasher--probably 8 or so of them now.

I press the pin 0 button before plugging in the USB, connect, select firmware (S2 options only presented), set up config, check all the boxes, and flash successfully. Originally I held down the pin 0 button until completion, but have found that I can release it after flashing starts (maybe sooner, but I haven't tried).

Although the firmware flashes successfully, even after power cycling the S2Mini never comes up with the fixed IP address I have given it. It does present on 192.168.4.1. I can connect my WIFI there and then, with the browser, look at the config page (which always looks entirely right), and click save and reboot.

Sometime I have to repeat going to 192.168.4.1 several times, but every S2Mini I have tried eventually comes up at the IP I have specified, and thereafter never again has a problem connecting.
Thanks Lizby for your feedback; I've tried again and I cannot reproduce the IP problem that you report. Are you filling all the 3 "IP" boxes ?
image.png
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

If it wasn't for the fact that I have 4 very important S2's running 24/7 with plenty of PSRAM for system memory and sitting conveniently in Wemos D1 Mini footprint sockets, I would be doubting my own sanity about not being able to flash 9 other S2's... so thankfully the working 4 prove I am not incompetent or going mad.
It's not from lack of trying, I have even tried using the Multi-platform Toolkit to flash the problem S2's, cos that definitely used to originally work, but something went wrong when I tried copying in an updated S2 bin, and it has errored ever since. No point me trying to fix it if it does not supports s2's and S3's, else I would still be using it even now ... cos sure as eggs is eggs, the company that generously gave out free forums and free websites may eventually also hold web serial to ransom (the few available alternatives are based on chrome internals).
I've decided to stick with S3 N16R8's for the foreseeable future, cos they are trouble-free and powerful - and although the UNO clone version doesn't seem to have OTG USB, it has a lot else going for it.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:22 pm If it wasn't for the fact that I have 4 very important S2's running 24/7 with plenty of PSRAM for system memory and sitting conveniently in Wemos D1 Mini footprint sockets, I would be doubting my own sanity about not being able to flash 9 other S2's... so thankfully the working 4 prove I am not incompetent or going mad.
It's not from lack of trying, I have even tried using the Multi-platform Toolkit to flash the problem S2's, cos that definitely used to originally work, but something went wrong when I tried copying in an updated S2 bin, and it has errored ever since. No point me trying to fix it if it does not supports s2's and S3's, else I would still be using it even now ... cos sure as eggs is eggs, the company that generously gave out free forums and free websites may eventually also hold web serial to ransom (the few available alternatives are based on chrome internals).
I've decided to stick with S3 N16R8's for the foreseeable future, cos they are trouble-free and powerful - and although the UNO clone version doesn't seem to have OTG USB, it has a lot else going for it.
If even the toolkit is not working, I suppose that you are trying to flash the wrong bin (i.e. the ESP32) into the ESP32-S2 .... I think that Lizby did the same error some time ago ....
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Yeah Francesco, I seem to remember losing track of the S2 and USB bins and not knowing what to rename to untangle the mess.
Hey, do you still have a working version of the Toolkit available with the latest S2 bin (in fact all bins), by any chance ?
The current versions could last forever without needing any essential updates, so a working stand-alone Toolkit would also remain valid forever !

old.jpg