Module ESP32-2432S integrated with Annex

Here you'll find the updated available
botman

Re: Module ESP32-2432S integrated with Annex

Post by botman »

I installed Annex32 CAN 1.51.6 LFS with the web flasher on two of my new 2.8" CYD boards.
The screen touch works well and the SD card does, too. Thank you for your work.
The sound doesn't seem to play. PLAY.WAV and PLAY.SPEAK hang the program and produce no sound in the speaker.
I tried the PWM command on IO26 to make a tone, and that works, so the pin and the audio amplifier and speaker are OK.
I'm guessing that it is a glitch in the new software version. Would you please check it out?
Last edited by botman on Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but in point 9 of the blog https://macsbug.wordpress.com/2022/08/1 ... -2432s028/ says:

<<9. P4 SPEAK and speaker: How to connect speakers.
- You can connect an external speaker to connector P4.
- The connection requires an external resistance value of about 100 Ω.
- If you connect a 40/50mm 4Ω or 8Ω speaker directly, it will flow
too much current: the 3.3V supply will be reduced and the ESP32 will stop.>>

Maybe a simple PWM command won't draw enough current from the audio amplifier to stop the ESP32.
Please let me know why I already found a suitable connector and this weekend I was thinking of experimenting.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

By the way, my problems with the touch of my module have disappeared for days. Now it works very smoothly, it always responds and you don't have to press hard. Of course, with the plastic pencil if you want some precision.
It may be that I was going over, securing and tightening the flexible tape that joins the resistive band to the XPT2046.

IMG_20231214_221516.jpg

But I fear that, as usually happens with this type of breakdown, it will return any day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
botman

Post by botman »

I tried PLAY.WAV and PLAY.SPEAK with 100 Ohms in series with the speaker, and they don't work.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

I think the audio has a problem .... need to fix :roll:
botman

Post by botman »

When I tried Annex32 v1.48.22 CAN on the same CYD, PLAY.WAV and PLAY.SPEAK work properly.
(Of course, the touch and the SD don't work with 1.48.22 .)
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Well, I have finally managed to integrate all the elements on this board seamlessly. I addressed the sound issue, which was caused by the bad choice of GPIO25 for the touch controller. In reality, this pin should not be used as it is dedicated to the audio DAC output.

Essentially, the majority of the board is based on a flawed design, resulting in a significant waste of GPIOs and poor allocation of pins. I am quite curious to know if anyone has developed a sketch, even a simple demo, where all the elements - TFT, Touch, SD, and sound - function simultaneously. :D This, of course, without resorting to any hardware modifications such as jumpers between the elements. :roll:

Fortunately, I exploited a hidden and unknown feature within the ESP32 that allowed me to connect all the elements together with minimal software modifications.

I also observed that the audio was highly distorted. Upon comparing the schematics with the actual board, I identified a discrepancy. Specifically, resistors R7 (47K) and R8 (22K) had been replaced by a 0 Ohm resistor. I replaced them with the correct values, and now the sound quality has significantly improved.

image.png
image.png
I also removed the RGB LED from the board, enabling the use of 3 extra GPIOs (16, 17 and 4).
image.png
I also tried to connect an external PSRAM placing it in the U4 spare position (cheating the use of GPIO16 and GPIO17 with separate wires) but at the end I discovered that the ES32 Wroom module is not an EspressIf original and do not exposes the signals SD0 ... SD4 required for this scope.

the logo is missing :shock: :
image.png
With a little bit of motivation, just for fun, I'll try to replace it with an original one and I'll redo the PSRAM "upgrade"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

As they say in restaurants, Listen, cook!
I immediately get on with it. Less change the ESP32 and install the PSRAM, which seems very strong for my age. :shock: :?
Of course, I have not seen anything more useless than mounting an RGB LED on the plates as standard. The first thing of all my programs was to turn it off. So it seems more appropriate to eliminate it.
Isn't the 100 ohm resistor in series with the speaker necessary then?
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

I forgot to say that the Annex version that fixes the sound issue is the 1.51.7 and is available on the usual places
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:45 pm As they say in restaurants, Listen, cook!
I immediately get on with it. Less change the ESP32 and install the PSRAM, which seems very strong for my age. :shock: :?
Of course, I have not seen anything more useless than mounting an RGB LED on the plates as standard. The first thing of all my programs was to turn it off. So it seems more appropriate to eliminate it.
Isn't the 100 ohm resistor in series with the speaker necessary then?
No, it is not required but you must change the 0 Ohm resistors otherwise the sound will be very distorted.

I'm using a couple of "stereo" speakers with a jack connected between left and right so both sounds in "mono" being in serial, so I suppose that the total impedance should be ~8 Ohm.