OTA not working with ESP32pico

Here we can discuss about the problem found
PeterN

OTA not working with ESP32pico

Post by PeterN »

Hi Francesco,
Thanks for the latest versions of Annex32 and also for updating the changelog in parallel so that one can follow the version flow and keep a good eye on the changes at the same time. I have now been able to incorporate some voice and MP3 streaming features into my projects with an ATOM echo, including a play-only news mode that responds to the MP3 metadata.
I am very impressed how fine this works now.
I have only observed a special problem with the installation of any version via OTA especially on any ESP32Pico ( M5Stack ATOM lite, ATOM echo). While this works without problems on all other modules, the ATOMS do start the OTA , but at this time seem to have forgotten the WIFI credentials and try to fetch the update while being in AP mode. Since the module has no internet access at this time, this is doomed to failure.
I have only noticed this behavior with M5Stack ATOM lite and ATOM echo - not with other modules.
A complete wipe and flash without OTA but via serial connection helped - but following OTA attempts fail again.
Do you have any idea what the reason could be?

Peter
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: OTA not working with ESP32pico

Post by cicciocb »

HI Peter,
I also noticed this problem but I didn't really found the cause.

The same problem occurs also on other modules (some ESP32-S2, for example) with the same behavior like if the local parameters stored are lost when the module start the update.

I suppose a flash memory corruption when the application is switched from Annex to the OTA but this must be investigated.
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

Thanks , Francesco

Having named the problem means having solved it halfway! :-)
I tried to write the config only by deselecting the rest when flashing with the online tool. But that did not restore the credentials.
Next step was was to omit the AP-name in config to prevent AP-Mode, but had no effect.
Not sure at the moment: reflashing app0 helped

Thanks again. This is for sure a minor problem, but I know it's in good hands with you.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

I've just modified the OTA and I confirmed working with the Atom echo, Atom Lite and Atom Matrix.

You must update just the OTA partition (the new one is the 1.9).

I modified the online flasher (check that the 1.0 version appear, otherwise type CTRL-F5 to refresh the browser)
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

Thank you, Francesco!
That got to the root of the problem! I just tried it with an ATOM lite and Echo and now the OTA works with no problems.
:D
Will try an ATOM Matrix tomorrow - but have no doubt that this will work too!
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

Just to complete the series:
The OTA also works perfectly and as expected on ATOM Echo.
Thanks again and have a nice Sunday