Captain's Mistress

Place your projects here
botman

Re: Captain's Mistress

Post by botman »

I wonder if changing to two-dimensional weights will make feedforward and backprop a bit faster.
If the index to the weights is calculated in the top level BASIC interpreted code, it might take a little more time than
if it were calculated in the compiled Annex code.
I guess that I'll have to try it and see.
BeanieBots

Post by BeanieBots »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:07 am This is an interesting article:
https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-do-m ... -20240412/
I don't think that my net "groks" Connect 4 yet.
I'm sure mine has groked. It is certainly finding an "alternative" agorithm.
I just need to find what problem that algorithm is solving :lol:
Nice to know that even MIT don't fully understand what's going inside a neural net.
They boast that theirs "slowly diverges" to the correct solution.
If slowly is something to boast about, then mine is even better. It's VERY slow.
Also, they state that theirs gets better when it forgets.
Mine never learned in the first place, that's a whole step less than theirs.
Looks like I'm well ahead of MIT. :ugeek:
BeanieBots

Post by BeanieBots »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:36 pm I wonder if changing to two-dimensional weights will make feedforward and backprop a bit faster.
If the index to the weights is calculated in the top level BASIC interpreted code, it might take a little more time than
if it were calculated in the compiled Annex code.
I guess that I'll have to try it and see.
For working out the indexes I've moved away from nested For/Next loops that calculate it.
Instead, I'm now using nested Do/Loop and increment an index counter in the inner loop and reset it in the outer loop.
Doing that avoids several multiplcations during each loop.

Interestingly, I had a 2x2x7 NN which was working really well with just 3 patterns to learn.
When I increased the pattern count, it maxed out with a total error of ~0.25.
Thinking the issue was neuron count, I increased it to 3x5x7 and then got an array subscript error.
Turns out that I'd forgotten to rename the arrays after a cut-n-paste and was updating the input weights with the hidden weight deltas.
The weird thing was how well it performed.
After correcting that fault, things just got worse. Even with a higher neuron count and an overnight run, it just keeps trending towards an average of the outputs.
I had this problem earlier when I first started which turned out to be an error in the derivative calculation but I can't find the cause this time.
For a single pattern, it gets all outputs spot on to better than 6 decimal places, but more than 3 and I only get an average.
I may well try it out in VB6 so that I can send all weights and neuron outputs to screen to see what's going on.
Doing that with WLOG would be a bit too painful :(