PCB for ESP32-S3 with VGA

All that relates to the H/W
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: PCB for ESP32-S3 with VGA

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:09 pm I am thankful of it Francesco - I saved a 'shared' copy to my EasyEDA workspace after midnight last night, then was up at 6am this morning trying to modify for a relay and IR TX/RX and 5v regulator, before a JCLPCB SMT refund voucher expires after tomorrow.
I'm not going to get it done in time, but that lets me appreciate your time and efforts even more, cos I know how long it would have taken me.
Yes, anybody can import and modify as per their own tastes.

I can always modify it to include your changes, just explain me what you want do.

In the while I'll send you one of the boards I've built (but I'm struggling with a sporadic fault on the SDCARD, probably due to missing or wrong pullup resistor)
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Ok.
The only reason I am rushing to make changes is to use up a JCLPCB SMA 9 euro refund voucher which is no longer valid after today... is not for PCBs, which are quite cheap anyway, is for SMA manufacturing with components, so trying to claw back some of the overcharge they owe me before it expires I will get back to you about things.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

VGAboard.jpg

Yes, I would very much appreciate one of your multi-module boards please, Francesco.
I was trying to quickly do something completely different, for IR relay control of a KVM switch via the VGA cable.
But the JCBPCB B.O.M. kept coming up with shortages, so by the time I found all the alternatives the refund voucher had expired.
Therefore I did not order it - probably just as well... cos was done too quick to spend time hunting the untidy mess for problems (so would be grateful for feedback of whatever you might notice wrong in the circuit below).

Wasn't all wasted effort though, cos I will eventually take time to redo the VGArelay circuit to use through-hole components I can see and hold.
It is basically for using IR or wifi controller to cycle a KVM switch down the vga cable and return feedback of the selected ports LED signal up the cable so Annex knows what KVM vga port is selected - so I added a plug-on option for a 3-pin IR sensor module.
Added similar option for a 3-pin IR emitter module so Annex can receive usb wifi signals to send out IR signals for controlling hdmi TV etc.
SD is handy for lots of VGA images, so I added header option for 6-pin SD-reader module cos you mentioned having problems with the SMD item.
Was worthwhile keeping sound, and the OLED header takes up no space.
Is not final though, cos will now have more time to tidy things up and think about what functionality is actually needed.

VGArelay.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

OK Robin,
I'll give an eye at your project.
You could probably share the project with me so I could do some modifications directly in the project.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

For who fear the SMD components, I also updated the design for using only Through Hole components
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Here is the VGArelay shared project link Francesco: https://oshwlab.com/electroguard/vga-s32
Was rushed, so was quicker just to add caps with tags rather than edit them into the original cap array... but will tidy things up in due course.
Now have time to reduce the width to fit these handy cheap boxes (red pcb is 100x100) which already have gaps front and rear, and clear lids for IR use:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... ry_from%3A

boxes.jpg

Through-hole is easier DIY for us oldies, and the bare PCBs are much cheaper than paying SMT assembly prices, plus they can just be populated on an 'as-needed' basis... 5 bare PCBs with slow delivery cost about a tenner, whereas assembly with just SMT components cost about 40 quid.
If you complain about being overcharged they issue a few refund vouchers, which can only be used 1 per order and are time-limited so they keep it anyway.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

I changed the VGArelay circuit to add +5V supply on vga pin9 to supply the KVM switch with 5v down the VGA cable.
Because of that, and to avoid need for SMT regulators and caps, I've decided it would probably be better to use optional plug-on 12v/5v/3.3v regulator module for pcb projects rather than design supplies onboard: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... ry_from%3A
They take up less space even including the DC connector and switch, but if neither of those are needed then the tiny module shown top left can be plugged in vertically within the 4-pin headers footprint, and is configurable for any voltage: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... 04684921_2
The plastic case mentioned previously has enough headroom to allow plugging modules vertically, keeping the main pcb footprint smaller.
optionals2.jpg
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

There is now another (3rd) type of cheap ESP32-S3 N16R8 with what looks like the same pinout but with the narrow 'breadboard-friendly' pin width, so I've ordered a couple to try... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... ry_from%3A
philplatt1

Post by philplatt1 »

cicciocb - just to let you know that i have had 5 of your boards made by JLPCB for only £3.50. Thank you very much for doing this design.
I managed to find the Gerber files from your link to EasyEDA project to post to JLPCB - a steep learning curve! I think that designing a prototyping board to a good step to making Annex more accessible to people. I have been using Annex for a number of years - my favourite project in the aircraft weather banner where i have increased the length of the LED panels and the software coped very well. Annex is very easy to use in many ways particularly in parsing web information.
I am also a strong supporter of the Micromite/Picomite community - MMBASIC is fantastic. A key factor for me was the development of of a 'mite Backpack - boards that are of the size of a 2.8inch LCD that attached to the back of the display. Your board almost does that but it is possibly too comprehensive in all the features it supports.
I am about the populate the newly arrived PCBs and initially use it as just a 2.8inch LCD once i have found where the firmware is located.
Thank you for your outstanding commitment to Annex which deserves a bigger user base.
Phil
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Hi philplatt1,
I'm happy to hear that you appreciate the PCB, I hope that it will be useful for you.
Unfortunately this do not seems to be the case for other users as I received practically zero feedback.

In the past, some years ago, I developed other PCBs (and enjoyed also myself into playing with 3D programming in html5 :-) ) using the concept of a PCB in the bottom of the TFT

[Local Link Removed for Guests]