LFS Fails to format

Recurrent H/W and software problems
SteanX

LFS Fails to format

Post by SteanX »

First time I've had and ESP32-S3 under hands and got to use the Web Flasher - awesome, thanks Francesco.
So I selected firmware 1.50.5 BLE_CAN_qio_opi_LFS and ticked all the checkboxes and off it went.
All seemed well until it booted, and it got to setting up the LittleFS, which failed :-(
But it carried on, got it's IP address and I could connect.
Except, there is no filesystem. flashfree returns 0.

So I started again, this time first doing a flash erase. And then the programming again. Unfortunately, same thing.
Could someone perhaps tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Stefan

--- Boot Sequence after programming ---

PSRAM enabled
BLE support enabled
module Type 0 Display 255 SD_Card 0
OK
No SD cards found. Reverts to LittleFS
../components/esp_littlefs/src/littlefs/lfs.c:1229:error: Corrupted dir pair at {0x0, 0x1}
E (84) esp_littlefs: mount failed, (-84)
E (88) esp_littlefs: Failed to initialize LittleFS
LittleFS Mount Failed
Formatting ...
Format completed.
E (5950) esp_littlefs: partition "spiffs" could not be found
E (5950) esp_littlefs: Failed to initialize LittleFS

Annex32-S3 BLE CAN 1.50.5 qio opi LFS
(C) ciccioCB 2022
Personal use only, commercial use strictly prohibited

Chip revision 0 Freq 240
STARTING
Connecting to ISDX-UBNT
Connected to ISDX-UBNT
IP address: 172.16.3.38
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: LFS Fails to format

Post by cicciocb »

I'm obliged to answer with several questions:
- What is your esp32-s3 module?
- What is the size of the flash memory?
- Have you changed "manually" the size of the flash during the flash process ?

In fact it seems that the module do not have the right partitioning

edit :
have you simply tried to disconnect and reconnect again the module to the PC after flashing ?
SteanX

Post by SteanX »

OK, so I tried it with Annex32-S3 BLE CAN DMT VGA 1.50.8 qio opi LFS and all is well? Flashfree return 13623296
But I still don't know why?
Any pointers perhaps?
SteanX

Post by SteanX »

Thanks for getting back so quickly Francesco.
[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:55 pm - What is your esp32-s3 module?
Controller: ESP32-S3-WROOM-1, PCB Antenna, 16MB Flash, 8MB PSRAM, ESP32-S3-WROOM-1-N16R8;
The dev board is this one : https://www.makerfabs.com/esp32s3-4g-lte.html
[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:55 pm - What is the size of the flash memory?
The webflasher detected it as 16MB which seems inline with the manufacturer's spec.
[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:55 pm - Have you changed "manually" the size of the flash during the flash process ?
Nope, I wasn't actually aware that one could :-)
[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:55 pm have you simply tried to disconnect and reconnect again the module to the PC after flashing ?
Yep, and I connected to it over wifi and executed wlog flashfree, which gave me 0
But, as I posted a few minutes later (msg 3 in this thread), re-erasing and using firmware Annex32-S3 BLE CAN DMT VGA 1.50.8 qio opi LFS seemed to sort it, so it's probably not worth exploring further?
Thanks nevertheless!
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Good to know that it work for you.
Seems an interesting module that hosts a GPS and a 4G phone module
SteanX

Post by SteanX »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:23 pm Seems an interesting module that hosts a GPS and a 4G phone module
There's a similar board that's just as interesting and actually more modern (LTE-M, NB-IoT and, as far as I know, added Galileo GNSS support). It's called Walter and that gets manufactured just up the road from you (at least from my perspective) in Belgium. The team that makes it (DP Technics) are also super helpful to work with. I've only tested it with Arduino code so far since they include some time-saving libraries, but when I'm done, I'll see how it does with Annex32. Maybe some people will want to check it out - it's at https://quickspot.io/

Apologies if links to products are uncool here - I am not in any way affiliated to any of these products - they're just some things I've stumbled upon in my travels that may be of interest to other forum users too - especially if Annex32 can be made to run on them.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

No problem, we are always open to accept new ideas and products