Version 1.51.8 - USB devices support

All about the VGA for the ESP32-S3
Electroguard

Re: Version 1.51.8 - USB devices support

Post by Electroguard »

Thanks Francesco, yeah it was already drawn like that on the footprint template in the library.
The library templates are usually read-only, but I did just manage to edit that text.
Was only a device place-holder anyway, to put long-pin headers over - but couldn't find them in the library, so needed to leave it for routing to.
lyizb

Post by lyizb »

Very nice layout, Robin. I like the inclusion of the D1Mini footprint--lots of (stackable) modules available.

Are you willing to share the gerbers or easyeda files?

Lance
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

I have to redo it all.
The EasyEDA template for the ESP32-S3 does not match the actual chip, the footprint is too narrow by a whole stripboard row (0.1").
Have just ordered several more S3-N16R8s, so must wait to see if the existing footprint was deliberate 'fake news' or if the device is actually made with different width footprints... even though all the pin names correspond.
Also I have just had to post a customer service complaint because 3 of the vga resistors (on all 10 boards which I received yesterday) were 10 times the resistance they should be. And no point getting them to re-manufacture 10 PCBs with correct value resistors if the N16R8 doesn't fit.
So am in the process of making several design changes, including trying to fit on a small SD reader somewhere, and maybe a voltage regulator with some caps, and possibly even an ability for sound. Much depends on the footprint width of the new N16R8s when they come, and if the bare VGA connectors will arrive in time for me to omit unnecessary vga options to reclaim some space.
So will not be any time soon.
If you do one yourself in the meantime (just a matter of auto-routing Wemos, N16R8VGA, vga skt and resistors) I suggest adding at least another outer row for a wider S3. In my revised drawing I have actually added 1 outer row for the IC to fit, plus another extra outer row on each side to optionally populate with male or female headers for jumpering to the chip pins.
lyizb

Post by lyizb »

Bummer. I just ordered 2 of these N16R8s https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806080061048.html for just over $11 U.S. (one with USB cable and one without to get just over the $10 for free shipping). (I think the pictures look right, if the product matches the pictures :D )

Would you be willing to share your EasyEDA files as is (that is, with additional row of pins for the additional .1" width)? I have PCB VGA parts. For around $5USD for 5 with slow boat shipping, I'd love to have a play.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

I don't have much to share - was no need to save the previous gerber cos it was directly uploaded to jlcpcb, and the previous layout was definitely no good to me, so I already un-routed and was making changes until 3am this morning, so I could contact jlcpcb with something that wouldn't repeat the problems.
Not heard back from them yet, so need to take full advantage to make as much progress as I can while I can.

I did not use a circuit diagram as such, simply added whatever items I wanted to be converted to the layout to get their footprints.
Then in most cases I superimposed headers over eg: the wemos footprint, saved the superimposed layout, then changed the diagram to not convert wemos etc to pcb.
Anything I couldn't find in a library I simply created appropriately labeled headers to the diagram, then copied a relevant pic to the layout and adjusted it size until the connectors fitted the headers. So you should be able to reproduce my layout to scale in the same way.

Screenshot_2024-01-24_21-52-52.jpg

Screenshot_2024-01-24_21-18-02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:08 pm Bummer. I just ordered 2 of these N16R8s https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806080061048.html for just over $11 U.S. (one with USB cable and one without to get just over the $10 for free shipping). (I think the pictures look right, if the product matches the pictures :D )

Would you be willing to share your EasyEDA files as is (that is, with additional row of pins for the additional .1" width)? I have PCB VGA parts. For around $5USD for 5 with slow boat shipping, I'd love to have a play.
I think you'll enjoy a lot as the ESP32-S3 is a very powerful chip .... you can do a lot of stuff, including videgames :lol:
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Hi Francesco,
if you got a G10S air mouse when it was on special 2€ offer, did you find out what the "Voice" feature is about ?
And did you find out how to differentiate between a 'Power ' button press and the center 'OK/Enter' button when in air mouse mode ?
Else how to select something when waving it around in air mouse mode without accidentally sending a Power On/Off code ?
It's already like having a magic wand, but will also try its IR learning capability tomorrow.
It is available again on a similar 2€ deal for anyone who missed out on the original Ali offer, BTW.

airmouse.jpg

Code: [Local Link Removed for Guests]

'Air Mouse snippet
usb=1
if usb=1 then
 USB.Setup 640, 480
 onMouseMove Mouse_Move
 onMouseClick Mouse_Click
 onKeyboard Keyboard_Press
endif
wait

Mouse_Move:
wlog "mouse move", mouseX, mouseY, mouseZ
return

Mouse_Click:
wlog "mouse click", mouseX, mouseY, mouseZ
select case mouseZ
case 205: wlog "playpause"
case  36: wlog "home": gosub weatherupdate
case 226: wlog "mute"
case 207: wlog "record"
case 233: wlog "volup"
case 234: wlog "voldown"
end select
return

Keyboard_Press:
wlog "keyboard", kbdcode
select case kbdcode
case 193: wlog "right"
case 194: wlog "left"
case 195: wlog "down"
case 196: wlog "up"
case  13: wlog "ok"
case 179: wlog "pageup"
case 182: wlog "pagedown"
case 208: wlog "settings"
case   8: wlog "delete"
end select
return
deals.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Yes I have one of these but I just checked that it works.

About the voice feature, I tried but do not seems to be working (or not supported by the driver).
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:18 pm I have to redo it all.
The EasyEDA template for the ESP32-S3 does not match the actual chip, the footprint is too narrow by a whole stripboard row (0.1").
... must wait to see if the existing footprint was deliberate 'fake news' or if the device is actually made with different width footprints... even though all the pin names correspond.
So I can confirm that there are indeed 2 different versions of ESP32-N16R8, with same pinouts, and similar price of less than 6 quid.
But the one with buttons 'side-by-side' is 0.1" narrower than the one with buttons 'one-above-the-other'.

s3-both.jpg