Neutral
6%
NO
20%

Total votes: 35

BeanieBots

Re: ESP8266 continued support

Post by BeanieBots »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:26 am If I invest some money in a project, then I want the current best performance, especially in the WiFi area
I think that comment can be used on both sides of the fence, especially if the tense is change to "if I have invested..."
ie. to get the best performance from what you already have.

As for Andreas's video, he frequently uses Arduino IDE support as an important factor but no mention of the complete deal breaker, Annex support :shock:
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:21 pm
[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:26 am If I invest some money in a project, then I want the current best performance, especially in the WiFi area
I think that comment can be used on both sides of the fence, especially if the tense is change to "if I have invested..."
ie. to get the best performance from what you already have.

As for Andreas's video, he frequently uses Arduino IDE support as an important factor but no mention of the complete deal breaker, Annex support :shock:
Thanks to all for this discussion, I think that it worth to give a, probably last, update for the ESP8266.
The scope will be limited as the margins are very tight but I plan to do it.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

I just uploaded 2 new versions for the ESP8266 (a old one never published (1.46) and another one (1.47)).
I updated at the same time the web flasher so that now is possible to flash the ESP8266 directly online.

These versions are available on the Firmware Update page and, as already said, can be flashed directly online with the web flasher; the change log is up to date.

The online help has not yet been updated.

The changes are essentially the following :

Code: [Local Link Removed for Guests]

Annex Change Log
Version 1.47
- Added file load and save buttons in the editor bar.
PEEK and POKE:
- Implemented BAS.PEEK, BAS.PEEK8, BAS.PEEK16.
- Implemented BAS.POKE, BAS.POKE8, BAS.POKE16.
Improved a little bit the NETBIOS ram usage

Version 1.46
Telegram chat_id problem fixed
fix on the initial opening of the help
Enjoy and do not hesitate give a little donation if you find it useful.
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

Thanks for these versions. I got directly desire to once again quickly fuel an ESP8266 with it. And then this now even friendlier mascot bee at the website! Very nice!!!
IMG_8145.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

I just uploaded an ESP-01S with 1MB of Puya memory, the "intractable little monster", Annex 8266 version 1.47, and everything is perfect.
If it worked with this one, which was the most difficult to record, I'm sure it will also work well with the rest of my modules.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:40 pm Thanks for these versions. I got directly desire to once again quickly fuel an ESP8266 with it. And then this now even friendlier mascot bee at the website! Very nice!!!IMG_8145.png
Yes, the mascot was a nice exercise discovering the capabilities of the AI :D
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:18 pm I just uploaded an ESP-01S with 1MB of Puya memory, the "intractable little monster", Annex 8266 version 1.47, and everything is perfect.
If it worked with this one, which was the most difficult to record, I'm sure it will also work well with the rest of my modules.
I enabled the "flash mode" for the ESP8266, but I defined the default at DOUT because it works for all the modules but it is the slowest mode.

So, it worth to try the QIO if you want go faster. (I think that the puya are the worst memory chip :roll: )
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

It would be good to ensure the 8266 continues to be usable for micropower IoT stuff. But I'm not sure we need anything above basic maintenance.
Oli

Post by Oli »

the esp8266 is extremely important.
It is used in many home automation devices.
It is permanently installed there.
Many have 1MB flash. it also runs very well there.

However, further development should only concern things that are needed in this context. It does not have to be able to do everything.
Important is communication, MQTT Telegram, smart meter protocol, IR, TX RX433, and some LED chips are still missing.
It does not need to be able to handle a large display, video, many things could also be removed to save space.

https://templates.blakadder.com/