The Annex CNN channel
PANNO

Re: Introducing Annex Version 1.50.8 and New Websites for Updates and Flashing

Post by PANNO »

I like the online flasher 😆
lyizb

Post by lyizb »

Every time I use the web flasher to flash an ESP32 S2Mini, with configuration for wifi set up Istatic IP) and all the boxes checked for flashing, the ESP never comes up with the set static IP address. I can get to it at 192.168.4.1. When I look at the configuration, everything looks OK. I change one or another of the settings, replacing a character with the same character, and press SAVE and REBOOT (and OK).

Sometimes that brings it up at the static IP address, but sometimes I have to repeat going into 192.168.4.1 2, 3, or 4 times. I've always ultimately gotten it to work, but it's like a monkey-wrench in the works.

Does this happen with other ESP32 flavors? Any ideas as to why, or what might be done?
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

I had not exactly this, but other strange effects after increasing the speed of the serial connection. Returning to 115200 baud helped. Had the impression that it could be related to the working speed of the browser respectively the machine.
Zim

Post by Zim »

lyizb
make sure you hard boot after changes...(disconnect power to reboot)
lyizb

Post by lyizb »

Thank you. I've never tried any speed other than 115200 (and I never have to reflash). When it doesn't come up at the expected static IP, I always power cycle, then look for either that IP with "ping", or look for 192.168.4.1 among the wifi APs. Config page at 192.168.4.1 always looks correct, and when I save and reboot, eventually comes up with static IP (usually taking several attempts). Once it comes up, it never has a problem connecting to the specified AP.
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:22 pm .... Once it comes up, it never has a problem connecting to the specified AP.
As a WIFI client with a fixed IP, the sequence should be: 1) log into the WIFI 2) do not request an IP via DHCP 3) use a fixed IP

So the problem may be that sometimes it cannot log into your WIFI because the RF signal path is too weak or at the borderline.

I tend to set my router to always provide the same IP address by maximizing the lease time or explicitly making the router remember the device by its MAC address (if the router is able to do so).
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

.... remember : even with fixed IP the router/AP still always is the man in the middle
lyizb

Post by lyizb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:46 pmSo the problem may be that sometimes it cannot log into your WIFI because the RF signal path is too weak or at the borderline.
This may be the problem, however, the AP is only about 4 meters from the device, with no intervening obstacles, and once it has come up with the static IP it never thereafter fails to connect. Perhaps more retries on initial boot-up would help. I don't have the problem with other than the S2Mini, for instance, with the ESP32 D1Mini (although lately I'm almost exclusively using the S2Mini).

This was also happening 3,000km away in my summer home, with the AP not more than 2 meters away.
okwatts

Post by okwatts »

New user with a esp32 dev kit. I have had no success using the web or online installer. I can use the toolkit to install 1.48.22 but if I use the OTA link on my installed version to update to 1.52.1 I get a http error :connection refused. Am I the only one who has this issue? The installation situation is not very clear or well documented as far as I can see from the documentation.
efalken

Post by efalken »

Yeah, I had simalar issues with the web installer. Also updating over the web was never successful.
So I always use the toolkit and the included webserver - it works fine for me.
Godd luck
e.