ESP32 Long Range Wifi

Give it a try, it costs you nothing !

Are you interested into implementing this feature?

Yes
71%
Neutral
18%
No
12%

Total votes: 17

cicciocb
Site Admin

ESP32 Long Range Wifi

Post by cicciocb »

Long Range (LR) mode is an Espressif-patented Wi-Fi mode which can achieve a one-kilometer line of sight range. Compared to the traditional 802.11b mode, it has better reception sensitivity, stronger anti-interference ability, and longer transmission distance.
Electroguard

Re: ESP32 Long Range Wifi

Post by Electroguard »

Again, there is no ideal option for me to choose - therefore I must offer this comment.
I would vote yes to add any new features that would improve Annex, even though I may not need the feature myself.
However, I would not vote for features to be added at any cost... whether too expensive to implement, or too expensive for users to afford.
So my vote would be Yes if practical and within reason.
But just because I cannot give a strong whole-hearted Yes does not mean I must give a strong NO, or don't care.
So I will abstain from voting, but not from lack of interest.

BTW, is Long Range wifi limited to special devices, or is it esp32 wifi generic ?
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

I am generally a fan of devices that are connected via RF. But I have learned in practice that the best guarantee for a stable and good connection is the antenna.
Definitely an interesting area of research - but with probably rather limited applications. If I may set priorities, here rather a lower one.
BeanieBots

Post by BeanieBots »

Can we please have a bit info about this?
Is it hard to implement?
Will it use up much reasource?
Is it compatible with your general WiFi router or is it only ESP to ESP?

As PeterN points out, the biggest issue with anything RF related is all to do with the antenna. A 1km range from just a protocol change is quite a claim. Has anyone tried this and does it really work ?

Hard to know which way to vote right now without a little more info about it.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:12 am Can we please have a bit info about this?
Is it hard to implement?
Will it use up much reasource?
Is it compatible with your general WiFi router or is it only ESP to ESP?

As PeterN points out, the biggest issue with anything RF related is all to do with the antenna. A 1km range from just a protocol change is quite a claim. Has anyone tried this and does it really work ?

Hard to know which way to vote right now without a little more info about it.
You can have more info here https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... g-range-lr
and search on internet for more details.

For all the questions, I cannot answer as I never tried, it is a new domain to explore.
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

I have seen useful practical benefits of using LR mode, 2-3 times increased range with standard PCB antenna, using Arduino and Micropython ESP-NOW protocol.

As I understand it is not too difficult to implement as it is part of Espressif SDK and has been supported by Arduino for a long time.

It is primarily for ESP32 devices and for lower data rate communication with remote sensors that are out of range for normal WiFi setup.
I am finding it very useful to communicate with outside sensors that are out of WiFi range and where I would need additional Lora devices at a significant hardware cost.

You can Google for information on the net in the Arduino world.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:23 pm I have seen useful practical benefits of using LR mode, 2-3 times increased range with standard PCB antenna, using Arduino and Micropython ESP-NOW protocol.

As I understand it is not too difficult to implement as it is part of Espressif SDK and has been supported by Arduino for a long time.

It is primarily for ESP32 devices and for lower data rate communication with remote sensors that are out of range for normal WiFi setup.
I am finding it very useful to communicate with outside sensors that are out of WiFi range and where I would need additional Lora devices at a significant hardware cost.

You can Google for information on the net in the Arduino world.
HI EasyRider,
I have some questions for you about this feature.

1- Have you personally already tried to use this feature with Arduino and/or micropython?
2- Can you really confirm the benefit of this feature compared with the standard Wifi ?
3- Have you used it in combination with the ESP-NOW ?

In fact I'm actually testing and I found a first initial problem as the L/R mode is not compatible with the standard WIFI so this means that, as soon as the module switches in L/R mode cannot be controlled anymore using the standard WEB interface.
I found that it seems to work in mixed mode AP STA (at least for the "server" module) but do not seems to be the case for the "client"
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Hi EasyRider, as I haven't received any feedback from you I've put this subject on hold.