ESP32-S3 N16R8 with Wemos footprint and onboard battery skt

All that relates to the H/W
Electroguard

ESP32-S3 N16R8 with Wemos footprint and onboard battery skt

Post by Electroguard »

This looks to be a powerful device with large file storage and system RAM plus UPS battery backup facility and plug-in capability of the many available wemos footprint shields... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... jzha7F4lYz

S2bc27ea104204ef1acc51b25a32e9b8aa.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electroguard

Re: ESP32-S3 N16R8 with Wemos footprint and onboard battery skt

Post by Electroguard »

good.jpg

red1.jpg

A long way from the original wemos d1 mini esp8266 but incredibly, still backwards compatible.
A simple test can let the same script run on either device.

luvverly.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

I mean, Robin, try to tell me that now that I had finished my pin-matching template for the Wemos dual base and the ESP32 D1 mini, do I have to change my whole pretty picture for the new pins?
image.png
Seriously now, it looks promising, but we'll have to wait and see what Cicciocb thinks. Is it quio-opi like ours?
My problem is still getting a cheap N32R8V: It seems to be impossible. Maybe the Chinese manufacturers will release an adapter board for this model and we can buy the microcontroller loose and solder it?
Like this one, but 14x14 + 12 pins.
image.png
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

If you look at the inner rows of 8 red long pin readers in the pics Fernando you will see that they match the esp8266.
Obviously the gpio pin numbers are different, but that is just a matter of specifying the appropriate gpios according to the device.
The main thing is that the service and power pins all match up.

Obviously the esp32 has additional gpios, which I populate with short black top female headers so I have access to them all.
But all the red long pin esp8266-compatible headers allow plugging in to any standard wemos d1 mini footprint socket.
And any wemos d1 mini accessory shield can be plugged in the top red female headers.
So this n16r8 can be plugged into a wemos tripler shield alongside d1 mini shields, and also have d1 mini shields plugged into the top of it.

As far as VGAis concerned, I will be testing it in the next day or two, but I have much else going on at the moment.
I'm not even too bothered whether it will do VGA, cos I've got other cheaper S3's for that... but you can see in the pic how much system mem it has.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Yep, VGA works great on it.