OPTION BASE 1

Feature requested and implemented
bugs

Re: OPTION BASE 1

Post by bugs »

I am not saying that it is difficult - but in a loop to place the words in an array. I would need to add 1 to the array index.
So then, a human asked to remember the position of the word "fox" could get the right answer by typing "4".
Either that or I could store them in the array starting at position 0 but would have to subtract 1 from the human's input.
This is a simple example - it can get more complicated with rectangular tables and is probably why Excel uses base 1 for its Row, Column addressing.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:52 pm I am not saying that it is difficult - but in a loop to place the words in an array. I would need to add 1 to the array index.
So then, a human asked to remember the position of the word "fox" could get the right answer by typing "4".
Either that or I could store them in the array starting at position 0 but would have to subtract 1 from the human's input.
This is a simple example - it can get more complicated with rectangular tables and is probably why Excel uses base 1 for its Row, Column addressing.
Still the same question : why you must add or subtract 1 ?
You can simply ignore that the position 0 exists and that's all

example

Code: [Local Link Removed for Guests]

A$="The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"
dim arr$(9) ' the message contains 9 words - the array contains the elements from 0 to 9
for z = 1 to 9
  arr$(z) = words$(a$, z)
next z
for z = 1 to 9
  print arr$(z)
next z
bugs

Post by bugs »

Yes - I see that you can do it that way for the simple example. I would have to rake back through years of VB programs to find the ones that gave me problems.
For now - you win. :D
But "fox"is still the fifth element in your array...
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:08 pm Yes - I see that you can do it that way for the simple example. I would have to rake back through years of VB programs to find the ones that gave me problems.
For now - you win. :D
But "fox"is still the fifth element in your array...
Doesn't matter, I can simply implement the option base 1 ignoring the first element; 'fox' will always the fifth element but the first will be simply inaccessible.

What I want say is that is not the option base 1 the point but is how you write into the arrays

It is not question to lose or win but I cannot find a valid reason that justify
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

Mon dieu, how bored we are..
Do we have the family visiting, with their children, for vacations? :lol: :lol:
I'm sorry I brought this thread up, I appreciate Bugs' support and I'll end triumphantly by saying: "Eppur si muove"
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Implemented in version 1.50.7