A new display supported by the ESP32-S3

All that relates to the H/W
cicciocb
Site Admin

A new display supported by the ESP32-S3

Post by cicciocb »

HI all,
I've just uploaded a little demo video of a new display I'm working on since some time.

The glitches visible in the video are caused by the refresh rate of the screen not synchronised with the camera and is not visible when looking at the display; the image is very very sharp and bright.

The displays, HUB75, are essentially, the squared modules that composes the big wall screen you can find everywhere (concerts, mall, ...).
They are not very pricey so I bought some of them and started to play with some time ago.

I composed a 192x128 screen using 6 modules 64x64, the whole attached to an ESP32-S3 with an SDCARD (to store big videos)
They can simply be attached side by side to compose a screen of any size

Thes global interface works well with annex and is supported as the TFT or the VGA; as you can see in the demo video, you can also play little videos using animated gifs

These are some pictures
IMG_6706.jpg
IMG_6708.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electroguard

Re: A new display supported by the ESP32-S3

Post by Electroguard »

It looks very impressive - approximately how much would 6 modules of 64x64 cost
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Cruel and unfair ... I wish I did not know about this until I had made a VGA information board (smart clock, weather, etc) up and running.
I haven't even unpacked the latest VGA connector arrivals yet.
But I can see advantages with these HUB75 units.
It aint 640 x 480, but a single 64 x 64 panel should be a lot more useful than a single 8 x 8 neo panel, and multiples start getting expensive and juicy.
if I am happy with my maxdot 8 x 8 x 8 blue smartclock, I should be happier with two hub75's giving 128 x 64 for about 34 euros.
I think I have almost talking myself into it, but may still need a nudge... would 2 make a decent smart clock ?
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

You are not obliged to do now, but for sure you'll certainly be the only one that will go on. 😁
Yes, with 128x64 you can already do a lot of stuff and these displays are quite bright but, and this is important, require a lot of gpios. I'll publish some doc tomorrow to explain more and I'll show you some pictures of my installation