New version 1.49.2 to test before final release

Here you'll find the updated available
tiff

Re: New version 1.49.2 to test before final release

Post by tiff »

Just be carefull!

You need some serious cooling for camera and for the ESP32 if you experiment with higher XClock. And stable power or you will get some very interesting failures because of that starting with blocking camera up to unstable WiFi connections especially if used in AP mode.

But i'm pretty sure you already know this....

:mrgreen:
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

I think I already tested at the max speed (that should be 20MHz) and found the best rate at 15MHz.
Maybe I'm wrong as this happened some time ago.

I think that the direction to explore is probably in the lower range to obtain high quality pictures

No problem for the failures, they are very cheap and I have a lot of them ....
tiff

Post by tiff »

That depends. If you have proper hardware, noise is the limit.
AFAIK the ESP32 can go up to 40MHz with XClock. The Cam not.
But, high frame rate means also low lag and that is sometimes by far more important than low noise.
In a practical use case i mount the camera on their place at 640x480 at max framerate at 24MHz. With low lag it is by far easyer to manage focus. Then, wenn all is fixed i go down to 18-22MHz, depending on the cam variant, at max resolution to get low noise pictures in high resolution.
So practically i need both in the same app and that's why i ask.
Or, in other words, it should to be the users decision to select what he wants.
tiff

Post by tiff »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:58 am No problem for the failures, they are very cheap and I have a lot of them ....
That's nice that you have enough of them to risk one or two in experimentation but do you believe that all users of Annex32 are so well stuffed? :o

Ok, then this statement goes to the others:
do proper cooling if you experiment with higher XClock rates!
It is very annoying to find very diffuse heat problems especially if you have put the whole system in a housing.
Put some proper buffer capacitors on the power line especially if you do work in AP or APSTA mode. The LD voltage regulator is sometimes at his limits.

I'm out
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:47 pm
That's nice that you have enough of them to risk one or two in experimentation but do you believe that all users of Annex32 are so well stuffed? :o
[/quote]

:D , this is a good reason so for not implementing the feature ? Avoid to break something ? :lol: