PCB demo

All that relates to the H/W
cicciocb
Site Admin

PCB demo

Post by cicciocb »

Hi all,
I reactivated on the new web space the demo of a PCB project that I did some time ago.

[Local Link Removed for Guests]
Electroguard

Re: PCB demo

Post by Electroguard »

Nice demo's.

These are not just virtual reality BTW, CiccioCB actually makes them if anyone is interested, and they are much more capable than M5 Stack, able to take up to 4" touch-screen TFT with SD card reader, plus option for all the modules listed at the top right of the demo... and onboard regulator and a DC connector for an optional battery, and with all connections brought out to pins.

This (4" TFT) will probably be the way I'll need to go for an OBD2 Scanner if output to browser proves impractical.
lyizb

Post by lyizb »

Where is there more information about this PCB? Which 4" display is used?
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

You'll need to speak to CiccioCB after he returns.

The boards have a wemos esp32 mini footprint, I'm using a ttgo in one of them cos it has onboard lipo battery connector (useful as an un-interruptible psu).
Both have RTC modules installed cos my Annex subnet is isolated from the internet so doesn't sync to a time server.
The pink module is the audio dac with stereo out jack.
Usually there is a BME280 module also.

I use long-pin headers which allow the TFT to be simply plugged in and out whenever needed, eg: to plug in optional modules.
I've trimmed the headers on the green Ver1 2.8" unit to provide a snug fit into a cheap hobby case which has a suitable place for cutting out.
The Ver2 3.2" will eventually be using the 4" TFT which has wider pin spacing (I've made a little extender adapter from another long-pin header)
Be aware that the 2.8" and 3.2" displays are 320 * 240, whereas the 4" is 480 * 320, so on-screen graphics done for one will look different on the other.
[Local Link Removed for Guests]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lyizb

Post by lyizb »

Thanks for the info, and for the link to the 3.95" ST7796S SPI 480x320 LCD. I've ordered one. (Had trouble finding it--nothing on aliexpress or amazon, one for $20US on ebay (and others for around $50 with shipping).)

I've wondered why they don't make larger SPI LCDs. I know they can't be updated fast enough to do some kinds of high-speed display changes, but many screens are fairly static. An 8-inch or 9-inch 800x600 SPI LCD would have many uses.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Sellers are more mercenary than technical, magnified by wholesalers confusing claims which are often just a copy 'n' paste of inappropriate specs from a manufacturers widely differing range... so it's a wonder we ever get what we expect.

That was how I got my 4" TFT touchscreens, which were advertised as using ILI9341, which Annex supported.
I asked the seller for confirmation that they were indeed IL9341 before ordering a couple, cos I knew that anything else wasn't going to work.
But when they arrived they were actually using ST7796, which was useless to me, so I fought for a refund.
Some months later CiccioCB added several more TFT drivers, including the ST7796 - I've since tested that it does now work, but not used them yet.

Ali take payment from the buyer, but do not make payment to the seller until the buyer acknowledges satisfactory receipt.
If there is any doubt about a product I will always first ask the seller to confirm what I will be getting - then if I don't get what I am supposed to, Aliexpress can clearly see it is the sellers fault rather than mine, and refund the money before the seller even gets it.

So I did not actually order the items I received, they were incorrectly listed as being something else.

Anyway, I just searched Aliexpress for "TFT 4 inch" and here is the very first result which popped up, so they are there to be found with the right search...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... afb512e5-0
lyizb

Post by lyizb »

Thanks for searching, but that link has the ST7796S LCD selections grayed out--only the ILI9486 actually available.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

...that link has the ST7796S LCD selections grayed out...
The link wasn't intended for you to buy, cos you said you had already ordered something - it was to show that searching for 4 inch instead of 4" or 3.8" (or whatever) might produce results which you could otherwise miss ... especially if you are searching for LCD instead of TFT !
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Following the post done by Robin about the PCB version 1 and version 2, I'm publishing some pictures of the PCB version 3.

As I still have a few spare PCBs, I plan to give some away to the top contributors for free.

PCB full assembled
IMG_20210809_220909.jpg
PCB completed side view
IMG_20210809_220929.jpg
PCB completed with the LCD removed
IMG_20210809_221005.jpg
PCB with all the modules installed
IMG_20210809_221044.jpg
PCB alone with the extended pins for the LCD
IMG_20210809_221717.jpg
PCB with all the modules removed
IMG_20210809_221208.jpg
And the schematic
pcb_3.0.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.