how to store a running time

Place code snippets and demo code here
its1000

how to store a running time

Post by its1000 »

Hello all,

i will use an ESP32 with annex, to add a little bit of modernity in a Valve Amplifier I am buiding for me...
the ESP will be here to display some information on an OLED screen or ILI9486 Screen, i haven't decided yet.

one of the info is the time since lamps are running, because every 5000 hours you have to change the lamps.
i would like to store the hours count in the eeprom of my esp. i know it is not recommended to write and read a lot in the memory of an Arduino, is it the same for the ESP? can is store the new value every 15mns, or is it better to store it juste before module stops running in order to write it only once per use in the ROM?

is there any command like "eeprom.write" in arduino language that can be used to store a simple value in the Flash Rom of the ESP, or do I need to use a file and store my variable in a txt file?

thank you very very much for your help wich is yet appreciated.

best regards
PeterN

Re: how to store a running time

Post by PeterN »

Without being very firm in this theme:
There where some discussions here about storing data in file(s) or using BAS.RTCMEM$ including some good example code.
e.g. : [Local Link Removed for Guests]

As the ESP32 has a lot of memory and the software cares to avoid unnecessary writing at the same location ("Wear Levelling API") the number of write cycles may not matter very early and discussion about the write cycles is more an academical one.

However, if you really need to write very frequently and want to overcome limited writing to a limited internal memory, an inexpensive card module and a large SD card can help for many years.
[Local Link Removed for Guests]

Have a nice sunday
its1000

Re: how to store a running time

Post by its1000 »

thank you for the info Peter, I will have a look at those example.