Change OLED and LCD alphabet to localization?

Give it a try, it costs you nothing !
kolia

Change OLED and LCD alphabet to localization?

Post by kolia »

This works awesome!
It is especially easy to connect the print to the OLED display 3106
The LCD display also prints words easily and is easy to plug in!

But a question arose that I can not solve, due to my stupidity.
I didn’t find anywhere, how can I change the alphabet to my native Hebrew, or Arabic characters?
It's good when I can upload a new alphabet, and a different layout for the codes for the letters, because not many people on Earth use English. Incomparably more people use a lot of other alphabets.
The English alphabet is very good for the program, but it is not at all suitable for displaying on an OLED or LCD display, for a standalone thing that is used in a country where, for example, Hebrew.

Maybe I missed something in the documentation?
Teach me how to type correctly in the national language.
I am very grateful for this.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: Change OLED and LCD alphabet to localization?

Post by cicciocb »

Hi Kolia,
actually is not possible to use other alphabets because only the English plus several special characters are actually included.
This is because only 8 bit character are supported
kolia

Post by kolia »

When I used the OLED display on Arduino for the ESP-8266, 8 bits per character were also used there.

However, it was possible with the help of an array of bytes (8 * 32) = 256 bytes to load your character generator.
In addition, people have written many libraries and character generators for OLED displays.
I really like this Basic, which is much lighter than Arduino, but I don't understand what's the problem with loading another character generator?
After all, this is just 256 bytes of memory from some address.
What is the problem with rewriting them or making an array in RAM?

I met the author something on this topic, but did not quite understand.
Can someone help me understand?

I'll be very happy.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:09 pm When I used the OLED display on Arduino for the ESP-8266, 8 bits per character were also used there.

However, it was possible with the help of an array of bytes (8 * 32) = 256 bytes to load your character generator.
In addition, people have written many libraries and character generators for OLED displays.
I really like this Basic, which is much lighter than Arduino, but I don't understand what's the problem with loading another character generator?
After all, this is just 256 bytes of memory from some address.
What is the problem with rewriting them or making an array in RAM?

I met the author something on this topic, but did not quite understand.
Can someone help me understand?

I'll be very happy.
Hi Kolia,
in the current implementation it is not possible to include other fonts that are not those already present in the code. At least for the OLED and the esp8266. On the other hand, for the ESP32 and the TFT displays it is possible to import external fonts with the TFT.LOADFONT command.
[Local Link Removed for Guests]

The possibility of loading fonts for OLED could possibly be added in the future but this could be an issue for the limited RAM available for the ESP8266.