Motion detection on AnnexCam?

Give it a try, it costs you nothing !
AndyGadget

Motion detection on AnnexCam?

Post by AndyGadget »

I realise that AnnexCam is shoehorned into the ESP32 memory fairly tightly, but how about implementing motion detection as an option instead of facial recognition? This would have applications for area surveillance, security and wildlife cameras.

As an aside, I've recently set up a bird-box camera which is currently spying on a pair of blue-tits in the process of nest building.
This is a PiNoir camera on a Raspberry Pi Zero W running MotionEyeOS, streaming to a PC running YawCam software in motion detection mode and synching created files to Google Drive. A process runs every 10 minutes to delete files under 6MB which are usually false triggers caused by light changes on the box entry hole. The Pi draws around 300mA and power is supplied via a switched mode dropper from a 12V car battery at the foot of the tree.
You can see the stored footage on Google Drive here : https://tinyurl.com/2p8cfbh7
PeterN

Re: Motion detection on AnnexCam?

Post by PeterN »

Hello Andy
a very nice project!!

I used AnnexCam to take photos when needed and send them to a Telegram account. FTP could be another option for exporting to a NAS.
For motion detection / intrusion detection I wanted to use an IR motion detection module HC-SR501 (https://www.mpja.com/download/31227sc.pdf ).
I admit the disadvantage that the viewing angle of the sensor is not the same as the camera. And I agree: the motion detection capability seems more interesting in AnnexCam than the very limited face detection.
AndyGadget

Post by AndyGadget »

I'm just building an ESP32-Cam / AnnexCam setup for monitoring the bottom of our garden where I've recently seen an Otter on a commercial trailcam I put down there. It swam up the small stream and headed into our garden. (Seeing an otter in the UK is one of those WOW! wildlife sightings.)
I'll be using a 110 degree lens on the camera with an additional IR illuminator. Converting the lens for IR operation consisted of cracking out the glass filter from the lens barrel, which suprisingly wasn't too difficult.
For the moment I'll be streaming to the PC in the same way as the birdbox camera but motion detection in AnnexCam would be ideal for this.
bedesign

Post by bedesign »

The motion detection algorithm in most? commercial cameras is
implemented simply by comparing the consecutive frames data
sizes, with possibly some size change limit filtering.

Hope this helps to begin implementing ..
AndyGadget

Post by AndyGadget »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:08 am The motion detection algorithm in most? commercial cameras is
implemented simply by comparing the consecutive frames data
sizes, with possibly some size change limit filtering.

Hope this helps to begin implementing ..
The YawCam help file is a good introduction to the methods used in that excellent bit of software : yawcam.com/help/help_motion_set.php