TM1637 decimal point

Give it a try, it costs you nothing !
omega

TM1637 decimal point

Post by omega »

Hello,

would it be possible to implement displaying of decimal points with TM1637 4 digit LCD display ? I have display module that has following segments 8.8.:8.8. Luckily, Arduino library exists for it.

Thanks in advance, Jan

https://github.com/bremme/arduino-tm1637/issues/1
gerdF

Re: TM1637 decimal point

Post by gerdF »

The decimal points are only indicated, there are no LEDs.
Only the colon is present.
If you are interested in my craft solution (retrofitting and soldering points), please inquire

Gerd
omega

Post by omega »

Hi Gerd, thanks for clarification.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

I was also unaware that the decimal points were empty, without LEDs. And I was planning to buy a couple of them. Is a gotcha!
To get out of trouble, Omega, you can use a botched, as long as you don't intend to alternate between checking the time and another measurement.
This is a thermometer:
image.png
A tiny piece of black electrical tape covering the top led and few people will notice ... ;)

Code: [Local Link Removed for Guests]

pin.mode 1, output ' TM1637 CLK
pin.mode 3, output ' TM1637 DIO
tm1637.setup 3, 1 ' Don't forget the 10k pullup resistors

while 1

t = rnd(559)
  t = t - 99
  t$ = str$(t)

if len(t$) <> 3 then
    if left$(t$, 1) = "-" then t$ = t$ + "0" else t$ = " " + t$
    if len(t$) <> 3 then t$ = t$ + "0" ' Can be zero
  end if

t$ = t$ + "c"  ' Or  t$ = t$ + chr$(42) 
  tm1637.print t$, 4, 255  

pause 3000  

wend
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
omega

Post by omega »

That's Fernando pretty neat idea and simple solution! Really like that. My display is showing time, temperature or any printable text (switched via web UI). I'll keep the upper dot in this project as is, but writing down this idea :) My unit hosts DHT22 and DB18B20. I am pushing data via MQTT to NodeRed to display graphs and I also a few UI elements to control contrast and what is displayed on the lcd.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Annex has had the TM1637 driver for years. originally for the 0.36 inch 'clock' module, then subsequently also the 0.56 inch module.
tm1637e.jpg

I was checking 0.56 inch availability and pinouts for a pcb I'm doing, and noticed something in the sellers details which I've not seen before…
"The display features decimal points per digit"
"For Arduino use library: TM1637.h "

tm1637c.jpg

Not all 0.56 inch modules include decimal points, but those 7 segment displays do seem to include them in each digit.
Some modules have decimal points but not the clock 'colon', and some TM1637 modules even have 6 digits.

tm1637a.jpg

Presumably the Arduino TM1637.h library is being updated to keep pace with the diversity of TM1637 modules and features.
So although the original library did not have the capability to address non-existing decimal points, perhaps an updated library could now let it be possible.

It would be a worthwhile feature to have, allowing a cheapo hi-vis TM1637 'clock' module to also cycle through display of temperature, humidity, etc.
And it certainly seems to be a popular 'point' of interest, judging by the number of views it has had (635 at the screendump)

popular.jpg
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Hi all,
I bought these "new" displays and I'll integrate them into Annex, assuming that the digital points really work
nedudgi

Post by nedudgi »

In the erly times these modules were handled as poor man's alphanumerical displays. As our friends in China were growing up, started to make OLED panels, for an acceptable price, God bless them* for their effort!
* Including first of all You, Francesco.
Nowadays we can choose, to have good visiblity from a longer distance, LED displays with seven segment, and a decimal point, or an alphanumerical OLED screen 128x32(or 64) pixels for a low price. Imho it is worthy to use both of these to differenciate by use. 7seg displays beat everything by visiblity from long distance, meanwhile the OLEDs can display more information, but not from a long distance. So here is a possiblity to differentiate them, what are they really made for. TM1637 is excellent for displaying one number, and OLED is excellent for displaying a lot of text. I know, this is a hard decision. If I were fifty years younger, I would reorganise the TM1637.h to display digits from 0 to 9, and decimal points, while the rest were "special" characters (H,,c, etc).
This would save a lot of of space of ROM? On the other hand, this solution needs a little modification of interface. The TM1637 modules are planned for two address on I2C bus, so the module address should be added too.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

With some planning you could plug in a 5.6" TM1637 for a high visibility clock AND an OLED to display other info... or just choose a TFT Touchscreen from 2.8" to 4" which would also give SD card storage capability. Even a humble NEO can indicate different types of event messages, flashing a pulsing heartbeat to show its alive and kicking, plus changing colour according to the gas bottle pressure sensor, and more urgently attracting attention when nearly empty. But despite the graphical notifications, I prefer to hear the announcements spoken by a text-to-speach module.

Multi-option Breakout.jpg
nedudgi

Post by nedudgi »

[quote=Electroguard post_id=1999 time=1642811563 user_id=49]
With some planning you could plug in a 5.6" TM1637 for a high visibility clock AND an OLED to display other info... or just choose a TFT Touchscreen from 2.8" to 4" which would also give SD card storage capability. Even a humble NEO can indicate different types of event messages, flashing a pulsing heartbeat to show its alive and kicking, plus changing colour according to the gas bottle pressure sensor, and more urgently attracting attention when nearly empty. But despite the graphical notifications, I prefer to hear the announcements spoken by a text-to-speach module.
[/quote]
I am not sure, that it is worthy to use an OLED display, exposed to direct sunlight instead of a 7 segment LED module. Although OLED costs just only more ten times more, my opinion is, this price difference is too high to display 3-4 digits.
TM1637 modules have their place on the market.