edit_area_full.js.gz missing

Here we can discuss about the problem found
Stuart

edit_area_full.js.gz missing

Post by Stuart »

I'm getting this message when my system hangs from time to time. When it happens, editor access has stopped (it shows part of the editor but doesn't connect) but when the hardware is re-powered the app works ok including its web page, though not the editor. Ideas?

[1.43.3 on the ESP32, Firefox and Ubuntu accessing it]

Stuart
Stuart

Re: edit_area_full.js.gz missing

Post by Stuart »

And now, after 3 hours from the restart the editor has started to load properly again. Very odd. I need this system to run continuously without intervention so understanding the problem would be helpful.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Hi Stuart,
this message means that the module is not working as this file "edit_area_full.js.gz" is loaded from the module itself.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Try copying on another edit_area_full.js.gz first.
Then try re-instating the file contents after re-flashing the device with the same Annex version.
If problems persist, try those same file contents on a different device with the same Annex version.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the input. I'm curious now -

Is this file necessary for normal operation? I ask because it does not seem to be present in File Manager, yet the system is now working normally as far as I can tell. I suppose the most important thing is, what caused this error to happen (and to hang the system) and how do I ensure it doesn't do it again?

s
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Normally flash would only be used infrequently for installing firmware.
All storage mediums are prone to degrade and fail with use, and cheap mass-produced flash is certainly no exception.
Flash memory manufacturers specify the chip lifetime as the number of writes before unreliability failures can be expected.
Annex hammers that typical usage scenario to the extreme with continued editing and data storage updating... which can 'wear out' its write lifetime in the weakest areas, causing unreliability and failures.

I know that SPIFFS jumps through hoops to avoid prematurely wearing out flash by re-mapping re-written files to less used areas of memory to prevent the same area being continuously re-written over itself when updating the same file(s).

I believe the file you mention is used for the Editor, so would be read every time you edit, therefore if located in a weaker part of flash that is becoming unreliable it could obviously start causing problems.

But by writing the file to the device again, instead of it being written back to that same problem area, it should get written elsewhere, hopefully avoiding the problem area.
Well, that's my understanding of things anyway.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:55 pm Thanks for the input. I'm curious now -

Is this file necessary for normal operation? I ask because it does not seem to be present in File Manager, yet the system is now working normally as far as I can tell. I suppose the most important thing is, what caused this error to happen (and to hang the system) and how do I ensure it doesn't do it again?

s
Stuart,
this file is hosted internally in the module (it is not visible from the file manager) and is part of the firmware itself (it is not present in the internal file system but is sent by the module on request).
This file contains the text editor included in the edit page.

If this message appears, means that the wi-fi connection of the module is lost.