After Annex 1.41 beta7 config time zone does not work.

Here we can discuss about the problem found
Jan Volk

After Annex 1.41 beta7 config time zone does not work.

Post by Jan Volk »

Hi CiccioCB,

I am new here and have been following Annex for over a year and have already done nice things with it.

In version Annex Wifi RDS 1.41 beta7 everything went well for the display of the correct internet time.
This was set correctly in Config and Time Zone with 1 (1 hour ahead).
But after 1.41 beta7 for the ESP8266, the Time Zone number no longer worked until the latest version 1.43.2.
Also tested for the ESP32 from the first version to version 1.43.2 and the Time Zone number works well.
All this tested with the program time4.bas from the file list.
I got by with an RTC module for the ESP8266 but it doesn't fit in a sonoff module.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: After Annex 1.41 beta7 config time zone does not work.

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:33 pm Hi CiccioCB,

I am new here and have been following Annex for over a year and have already done nice things with it.

In version Annex Wifi RDS 1.41 beta7 everything went well for the display of the correct internet time.
This was set correctly in Config and Time Zone with 1 (1 hour ahead).
But after 1.41 beta7 for the ESP8266, the Time Zone number no longer worked until the latest version 1.43.2.
Also tested for the ESP32 from the first version to version 1.43.2 and the Time Zone number works well.
All this tested with the program time4.bas from the file list.
I got by with an RTC module for the ESP8266 but it doesn't fit in a sonoff module.
Hi,
I just tested both ESP8266 and ESP32 and the time zone works perfectly.
Probably you missed that the the timezone must be defined as a string like CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3 that describes how the local time must be managed in terms of time shift and DST (summer / winter time).
Look in the help for more details here
[Local Link Removed for Guests]

A complete list of timezone strings can be found here : https://github.com/nayarsystems/posix_t ... /zones.csv
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Hi Jan,
Are you saying that the time zone offset used to work correctly on 1.41 beta7, but then stopped working on later versions, until this latest 1.43.2 which has now made it work correctly again ?
So you are not actually reporting a bug in this latest update, just noting a previous bug which is now fixed by this latest update ?
If I have understood that correctly then perhaps it might be worth editing the Subject title to something like "Timezone now works correctly in Annex 1.43.2" to avoid any confusion ?
Jan Volk

Post by Jan Volk »

Cicciocb thanks for the quick response.
I now know that it works on the ESP8266 and ESP32 with the latest firmware.

And Electroguard noted well that it doesn't work well on me up to version 1.43.2 but up to 1.43.2.

Are there more users who have problems with the correct internet time on an ESP8266 after version 1.41 beta7?
For the ESP32, it all goes well with the latest firmware.

Problem with me Europe / Amsterdam for ESP8266 the time zone no longer works correctly. I suspect that the time zone is not being processed properly?
When I use the settime command the time works fine, but after restarting or using option.nptsync the utp time is back. (1 hour difference)
Can someone help me with an example to a solution or what has changed after version 1.41 beta 7 with regard to the time zone?
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

To avoid any more confusion Jan, here are some questions with yes or no answers which might help pinpoint what you are having a problem with:
  • 1. Are you still having a time zone problem ?
  • 2. Is your problem that you are currently losing the time zone offset after rebooting, ie: instead of UTC +1 it is reverting to UTC 0 ?
    (if something different, please explain what the problem is)
  • 3. What version of Annex are you having the problem with ?
  • 4. Does the latest version of Annex 1.43.2 work correctly for you without having that problem ?
  • 5. If version 1.43.2 does work correctly for you, why not update to it, rather than continue using an older version which has the problem ?
Yes or No answers to the above questions would be useful, but please add anything else which you think may help us understand the problem.
Please answer Question 5 even though it is not a Yes or No answer.
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

HI Jan,
I have used 1.41b3 with this timezone string: "CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0" for Europe/Berlin.
Today I switched the ESP8266-Wemos-D1-Mini to 1.43.2 with the same program and old config settings.
This caused no problem here. Same correct time; no offset.
I left all to the OS/ANNEX and did not use option.ntpsync. Simply used time$ only a few seconds after the cold start.

Hope that helps
Good luck

Peter

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:06 pm Cicciocb thanks for the quick response.
I now know that it works on the ESP8266 and ESP32 with the latest firmware.

And Electroguard noted well that it doesn't work well on me up to version 1.43.2 but up to 1.43.2.

Are there more users who have problems with the correct internet time on an ESP8266 after version 1.41 beta7?
For the ESP32, it all goes well with the latest firmware.

Problem with me Europe / Amsterdam for ESP8266 the time zone no longer works correctly. I suspect that the time zone is not being processed properly?
When I use the settime command the time works fine, but after restarting or using option.nptsync the utp time is back. (1 hour difference)
Can someone help me with an example to a solution or what has changed after version 1.41 beta 7 with regard to the time zone?
Jan Volk

Post by Jan Volk »

Hi Electroguard

It's not supposed to be confusing, but google translate sometimes gives strange answers.

1. Yes, While Time Zone offset is 1

2. No, Time Zone offset does not change after restart and is therefore retained in the table.

3. ESP8266 version: 1.42pb, 1.42b1, 1.42b2, 1.43.0, 1.43.2

4. No, Problem still present with Time Zone offset

5. Version 1.43.2 does not work correctly with me regarding the Time Zone offset. Up to version
1.41b7 ESP8266 WeMos mini no problem, but after this version only a problem with the Time Zone offset.

I couldn't log in to the old Annex forum so I patiently waited for the problem to be resolved. Now I can sign up and have posted the problem.

What have I already done with version 1.43.2:
With Annex toolkit 1.22 flash memory first erased (red) and flash firmware + data loaded max. (Yellow)
Test program with timer$: The Pc time has a difference of one hour with the Annex Webserver while in the Config table Others only Time Zone offset 1 has been entered and the rest of the table is empty. After changing Config table Others Time Zone offset to 0 no change in time difference between Annex Webserver and Pc time difference remains one hour.
Also Settime tested with which the correct time can be entered. Only after reset or power off and on again time difference. Also option.sync tested and no difference with the above.
If I load the flash firmware of version 1.41b7 or 1.40pb or lower then it works again. (green).
I hope the story is clear?

And where do I put the string "CET-1CEST, M3.5.0, M10.5.0 / 3" in the program or with what command?
I copied it to Time Zone but it doesn't work? Maybe I am not doing it right?

I am not very experienced with Annex basic yet and I mainly rely on the examples.
So keep on posting lots of examples and fun projects.
And kudos to cicciocb for all the programming work.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:37 pm And where do I put the string "CET-1CEST, M3.5.0, M10.5.0 / 3" in the program or with what command?
I copied it to Time Zone but it doesn't work? Maybe I am not doing it right?

I am not very experienced with Annex basic yet and I mainly rely on the examples.
Simply put in the config page in the Time Zone textbox
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jan Volk

Post by Jan Volk »

Hello cicciocb

You helped me a lot with the print.
For me it now works perfectly with all versions, including the last one.
Nice weekend.