New release 1.43.7 for ESP32

Here you'll find the updated available
bugs

Re: New release 1.43.7 for ESP32

Post by bugs »

Hi,

I can possibly answer one of your questions - but cannot point to a suitable module to buy as I could not locate one (in the UK).
I did find one with 16MB of flash memory, the DFRobot Firebeetle. I added a 4MB PSRAM chip to this board via an smt breakout pcb - see picture.
A slightly neater method was possible with a Lolin Lite module which has the flash chip external - so I could solder the PSRAM directly on top.
I have also included a partial screenshot showing the available flash and RAM while running a program on the Firebeetle board.
I think it was worth the effort as the extra RAM helped buffering the Play function from internet radio stations.
If anyone has located a module with both 16MB flash and PSRAM I would also be interested :)
firebeetle2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
its1000

Post by its1000 »

so i imagine that if you took so much time to add a psram on an esp32, the memory is used and recognized by Annex...

in fact, the flash memory of more than 4 Mb is not so necessary for me. i just keep on it a very small txt file in order to store some numerical values of my prog.
it seems that Electroguard or Ciccio told me that annex use the flash cleverly in order to avoid burning it too fast. so i think that the more memory I have the longer it will last to store those values...

my programm has to store some durations of usage, every 5 mns (or 10 it could be) i write the 'counters' in the txt file.
as a flash memory solo has 100 000 cycles of write, i imagine that my module won't live more than 8500hours...

and very last question... in the help, I found how to connect a micro SD module but how do we declare that this module is connected for annex to use the card instead of the internal flash?
thank you for your help.
bugs

Post by bugs »

Hi,
Yes - Annex sees the PSRAM and makes good use of it.
This is the serial output at reset:-

Code: [Local Link Removed for Guests]

Annex initializing...
PSRAM enabled
BLE support enabled
module Type 200 SD_Card 0OK
No SD cards found. Reverts to FFAT
STARTING...
I have not got an sd card to try at the moment and I can't remember properly - I think it is automatic if card is present when boot. Hopefully someone will correct me if wrong...
its1000

Post by its1000 »

if i understand well. on the lolinlite there is PSram, and there is a 4mb flash that you can remove and replace with a 16mb memory flash instead?
Am I right ?
PANNO2

Post by PANNO2 »

why not using a Lolin D32 pro ?

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32883116 ... Redirect=y

you can use the sd card and it has 4/8 mb

i dunno if Annex can use ram above 4 mb , ask cicciocb
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Both the PSRAM and the SDCARD are recognised automatically if present.
Obiously the SDCARD must respect the wiring defined in the documentation otherwise will not work.

Bacause of a technical limitation of the ESP32, even is the PSRAM chip is 8MBytes, only 4 will be available.

In the next release there will be some other configurations possible and I plan to make a complete "à la carte" configutation possible in the future (i.e. define each pin for each function).
its1000

Post by its1000 »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:00 am Both the PSRAM and the SDCARD are recognised automatically if present.
Obiously the SDCARD must respect the wiring defined in the documentation otherwise will not work.

Bacause of a technical limitation of the ESP32, even is the PSRAM chip is 8MBytes, only 4 will be available.

In the next release there will be some other configurations possible and I plan to make a complete "à la carte" configutation possible in the future (i.e. define each pin for each function).
thank you very much ! very clear.
so at this time I use an external SDcard wiring exactly as recommended.. and maybe in the future we'll have a configurable pin assignation for SD card reader, so would be able to use an ESP32 with integrated SDcard reader... and worth buying an ESP with some psram, will be faster and more powerfull when managing large images for screen I imagine.
and with what I read previously it may not be necessary for me to use an sdcard just to write a log every 10mns... with wear levelling should be ok with the integrated flash due to the very low data I write...
PANNO2

Post by PANNO2 »

free pin configuration ? my lilyygo T-Watch cant wait :mrgreen: iam also :P
its1000

Post by its1000 »

ESPtool not starting...

Hello guys,

first of all, happy easter to all...

I changed my computer some months ago and I did not use ESPTOOL for a long long time. also because I have some ESP32 yet flashed with an old 1.43 version...

I try to restart my esptool to flash a new ESP32 I bought yesterday with some PSram, and I don't know why, but esptool does not start...

i tried to put the full directory on my C root to be sure it's not a path issue.
i tried executing as admin...

same result... I see a DOS windows appearing and dissapearing very quickly, but nothing else.
did I forget to reinstall a framework or something?

thank you inadvance for your help ...
its1000

Post by its1000 »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:39 pm hello guys. hope every one is fine...

so much time without posting here and playing with my Annex, but I had a heavy loaded work last months.

I have 2 questions.
does the ESP32 modules with psram have a real interest when we develop programs with ANNEX? especially with color screens?
does annex 1.43.7 supports ESP32 with more flash ram? 8 or 16 instead of 4?

if yes can someone recommend me a model of ESP32 with psram and 8 or 16mb flash that is known as compatible with annex? on Amazon or Aliexpress would be great.

thank you very much for your help.
no need more help. I don't know how, but at the end I found a directory, where the installe Zulu and Win, works... I put the bin file 1.43.7 and all seems ok. so I don't bother you anymore. I don't really know why and how this folder and not the others... but not an issue, it works, that is the more important...

and jsut a quick question. what is the interest of the NOBLE version ? more flash available?