Support for a exotic display possible?

All that relates to the H/W
msnrw

Support for a exotic display possible?

Post by msnrw »

Hi there,

for a project i stumbled over this fine software and asked myself if it would be possible to get this display to work:

It is a ILI9341 based 2.4 touch tft with a xpt2046 touch sensor and a sdcard-slot on the back. In the arduino-database it has this entry:

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/ja ... est-89f51b

I got it from a german seller (azdelivery) and realised too late, that it is a bit special compared to other spi-driven displays.

As i don't have any other touch displays at the moment, it would be great if it would be feasible. Plus, afair it should be a bit faster than pure spi-tft which would be cool. And the form factor fits my project idea the best. I plan to use it with a esp32 nodemcu board.

Maybe you could have a look and give some hints. In case it would be of any help i would donate one (wether as a physical device or as a paypal donation).

Thanks in advance.

Boris
Electroguard

Re: Support for a exotic display possible?

Post by Electroguard »

Hi Boris,
I have a suggestion:
If you are prepared to donate the cost of a new TFT touch module to CiccioCB if he squeezes in the arduino drivers into Annex so that your unsupported module can work for you (and possibly only for you, cos I doubt many others would squander so many additional gpio pins), perhaps instead it would be more practical simply buy one of the many TFT touck modules which are already supported, such as: [Local Link Removed for Guests]
That would save him much time and effort, and avoid using up what little firmware memory is still remaining for future developments.
Memory for future developments is a crucial limitation which money cannot buy, and you can already see that CiccioCB is having to create different Annex32 firmwares containing different device drivers for different purposes.
What it boils down to is that the benefits of including new device drivers must justify the loss of using up that much of the remaining memory.
msnrw

Post by msnrw »

Hi Electroguard,

thanks for your opinion - i thought i ask because the Display seems to have some advantages over the normal spi-ones.

But you are right, it would sure be easier to buy a new one which works already ootb. Then i will have a look what i do with this unused one.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Yeah, I wish I could get refunds on all my unused hardware... I could certainly afford a better something or other!
More realistically, I say to myself "perhaps I should create an arduino version of it which the Annex devices could connect to (serially, or wifi, or CAN, or whatever) and access if needed" ?
But I never do.
The speed and convenience of Annex has spoiled me, so now anything else seems like too much time and trouble to bother with.
Maybe one day.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:58 pm Hi Electroguard,

thanks for your opinion - i thought i ask because the Display seems to have some advantages over the normal spi-ones.

But you are right, it would sure be easier to buy a new one which works already ootb. Then i will have a look what i do with this unused one.
Hi msnrw,
I full agree with Robin (Electroguard) as the support for this kind of display will waste a lot of IO pins and, additionally, do not seems to include the touchscreen controller (even of the xpt2046 is specified in the description, do not seems to be present on the board) as the touchscreen will require several analog input pins. Honestly, the best is to use one that is included in the long list of the supported ones.