Handy PSU

All that relates to the H/W
Electroguard

Handy PSU

Post by Electroguard »

atxpsu.jpg

About 12 quid can turn an old ATX computer PSU into a very handy bench power supply with 3.3V, 5V,12V and adjustable 1.8V to 10.8V output voltages.
As well as the 5v available at the banana sockets there is also an onboard 5v USB connector.
The 3 digit display shows the variable output voltage which is adjusted by a pot that comes with a knob.
It has front and rear acrylic panels for protection, and a nice touch (not advertised) is that the 4 feet are circular magnets allowing the unit to be easily and neatly attached to the ATX PSU case.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... b6a1fd4-23
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: Handy PSU

Post by cicciocb »

Thanks Robin,
it seems a nice product.
PANNO

Post by PANNO »

What about the power for each output?
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Power output is not specified because presumably it will depend on the rating of whatever ATX computer power supply you choose to run it from.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Probably the only relevant information is the power output for the adjustable output but this information cannot be found in the description :cry:
bugs

Post by bugs »

The similar one at Walmart includes slightly more detail:-
"The voltage output terminals of the ATX power expansion board correspond to each screw terminal, and each terminal is protected by a 2A resettable polysilicon fuse."
I think these are just visible in the corner of the PCB by the USB connector.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zewfffr-24-2 ... /814147216
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

The variable voltage supplies enough current for my needs, and it's nice to have a simple responsive pot (with knob) adjustment with digital readout.

But for higher current variable voltage I use a DC to DC Buck Boost converter which can run from almost any mains adapter or PSU.
I put a DC jack on the back so I could plug in any of the different mains adapters laying around, and I noticed that the output voltage remains accurate even when plugging in widely different input voltages.
It claims 3.5A continuous, but I prefer charging most batteries with current limited to about 1 amp to ensure no problems.
It allows setting an upper cutoff voltage and max current limit, so is great for charging almost anything, including 24v impact wrench nicads, 18v makita lipos, 12v vehicle lead-acid, 8v dremel lipo, etc... lost or faulty chargers and mains adapters are now no longer a problem.

It has protection against everything, and even survived being powered up with my home-made battery clamp contacts shorting together (I've since reconfigured the output to default to OFF). The spring-loaded speaker terminals are useful for voltmeter probes as well as connecting bare wires.
Mine cost about 7 quid some months ago (not from this random seller) and was worth every penny.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 888f77d7-1

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

I'm trying to think of a practical usage to justify getting this (I don't have solar)... anyone have any ideas ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 4af71eb-18

bugs

Post by bugs »

Justify?
It's a toy for Christmas.
It has one bug - the on/off switch does not rotate.
Also the first time I have ever seen voltage and current accuracy specified in bytes -
Volts +- 0.4% + 1 byte and Current +-5% +3 bytes.
I suppose it makes the spec look 8 times better.
:D
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

I was already convinced, it's the wife I must convince (she see's the postman more often than she see's me cos of the endless deliveries from china).

But I reckon it could be essential for remotely monitoring vehicle battery charging in winter then turning off without needing to lose heat by going outside... so couldl be an efficiency gain by preventing avoidable heat loss !