16Mb Lilygo ESP32

All that relates to the H/W
Electroguard

16Mb Lilygo ESP32

Post by Electroguard »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 1802cSYQJI
This 16Mb Lilygo ESP32 seemed too good to be true at less than 9 quid with free shipping, especially as they were charging nearly 12 quid for the 4Mb version. So I only ordered one, more in hope than expectation ... but it did arrive, and is 16Mb, and did flash ok.
Was going to order a couple more until noticing that the price has effectively been doubled by now charging nearly 8 quid for shipping - which they have also done with the more expensive 4Mb version... so I do not understand their pricing strategy.
It has the D1 Mini footprint, so can be used with many of the wemos D1 Mini shields.
The title and specs both mention PSRAM, but the device seems to just be 16Mb of FLASH, resulting in 4Mb of useful system memory, the rest for files.

t16mbs.jpg

l3s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bugs

Re: 16Mb Lilygo ESP32

Post by bugs »

Strange - I don't have a wrover but understood that the psram was a built-in feature...
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Hi Robin,
as per the screenshot you posted, the module has 16MB of Flash and 4MB of PSRAM.
As usual, only 4MB of PSRAM are available even if the module has a 8MB PSRAM chip (that seems be the case).
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

That's the way I read it Francesco, but according to the blue button info it does not report any PSRAM (see below).
And presumably if it did have PSRAM in addition to the 16Mb FLASH then the available system RAMFREE would be 4Mb (Flash) + 4Mb (PSRAM) = 8Mb ?

Edit: Maybe the unusually large amount of 16Mb FLASH memory is fooling the blue button test routines from noticing any PSRAM ?

s310mbc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

The PSRAM is not detected by the toolkit, at least for the "classic" esp32 so you cannot rely on it to identify if the module has or not the PSRAM.
As per the image you posted previously
image.png
I can see that there are 4269803 bytes of RAM available (4M PSRAM + internal RAM) and 13414400 bytes of flash (16MB - space used by the firmware)

Just a little reminder:

FLASHFREE Returns the free disk memory available (number of bytes)
RAMFREE Returns the free ram available (number of bytes)
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Yeah, was a dislexic ? slip up... the last word was meant to say "Files" not firmware.

Was just basically posting for the benefit of others so they could have a better isea of what they would be getting from the devices (cos I didn't know until I got one to try for myself).
The important takeaway is that it 'only' gives 4Mb of system RAMFREE, but that's double the normal, so I'm happy with that.
And gives plenty of FLASHFREE file storage space without needing to add the 'vulnerability' of an SD card.
It's a shame they wacked on the shipping, else I'd get more.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:21 pm Yeah, was a dislexic ? slip up... the last word was meant to say "Files" not firmware.

Was just basically posting for the benefit of others so they could have a better isea of what they would be getting from the devices (cos I didn't know until I got one to try for myself).
The important takeaway is that it 'only' gives 4Mb of system RAMFREE, but that's double the normal, so I'm happy with that.
And gives plenty of FLASHFREE file storage space without needing to add the 'vulnerability' of an SD card.
It's a shame they wacked on the shipping, else I'd get more.
No, I meant firmware, there are no errors.
The space available for the file system is, essentially, the size of the flash memory minus the size of the firmware (that includes 2 partitions for the firmware itself + the OTA firmware).
This is a simplified concept as there are other partitions present in the flash chip but their size is negligeable.

WIth a 4MB chip, the free space is around 1MB for the files and, in this specific case, around 13Mb for a 16MB flash module.
Obiously, this is the free space considering that the file system is empty(when the module is flashed initially).
HPB

Post by HPB »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:47 pm https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 1802cSYQJI
This 16Mb Lilygo ESP32 seemed too good to be true at less than 9 quid with free shipping, especially as they were charging nearly 12 quid for the 4Mb version. So I only ordered one, more in hope than expectation ... but it did arrive, and is 16Mb, and did flash ok.
Was going to order a couple more until noticing that the price has effectively been doubled by now charging nearly 8 quid for shipping - which they have also done with the more expensive 4Mb version... so I do not understand their pricing strategy.
It has the D1 Mini footprint, so can be used with many of the wemos D1 Mini shields.
The title and specs both mention PSRAM, but the device seems to just be 16Mb of FLASH, resulting in 4Mb of useful system memory, the rest for files.
Thanks Robin for ESP32 information but helpful.

Cheers,
Hanspeter