Xmas project - will it or won't it ?

All that relates to the H/W
Electroguard

Xmas project - will it or won't it ?

Post by Electroguard »

clk3.jpg
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 007%21rec

I've only just ordered one of these myself, so I don't know for sure that it will be usable, but perhaps it may be of interest to others.
Worth trying at that price, cos potentially offers a cheap self-contained 4 digit 0.8" display with integrated Annex
(even without the display it offers a neat self-contained Annex unit for adding eg: LDR or BME )
Flashing with Annex is not a problem, but even if it is not TM1637 compatible it should hopefully just be a matter of mapping the original outputs, cos obviously the hardware interface already exists.

Not just handy as a clock, BTW ... I already have an Annex32 'data server' broadcasting time, inside temp, outside temp, humidity and atmospheric pressure collected from BME and Mijas BLE sensors to any listening devices, and some 'listeners' are 0.56" TM1637 annex clocks which also periodically cycle through the weather info, - so would be great to add larger display 'listeners' which don't need to be securely made up from separate modules.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyGadget

Re: Xmas project - will it or won't it ?

Post by AndyGadget »

Neat little unit. Looks like you've got an interesting voyage of discovery ahead of you.
(Alternatively you could just leave as-is for a handy Beijing time reference :D)
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

It should not be hard to make it be compatible with Annex, it looks that there is an RTC chip, I'm just curious to know what is the chip that controls the display
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

clk5.jpg

There is another slightly different version I'm going to order also - cos even if the 0.8" display can't be made to work, it still offers a neat Annex ESP module with onboard uart and micro-usb, 3 buttons, regulator, and battery backup ... the listing mentions ESP but I can't make out any other chip details.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 1dDBJJk6Mg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

It seems like somebody has already picked it apart for arduino, so that's quite encouraging...
https://github.com/maarten-pennings/303 ... /4-display
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Micro-USB is just for power (no uart).
The display driver (U5) is TM1650 and the serial interface Is similar but different to I2C (as with TM1637).
Looks like it should be fairly easy to connect a sensor or relay module if needed, but P1 supplies 5v, so perhaps 3.3v can come direct from regulator pin

Very good tear-down from maarten-pennings (summarised below) ... https://github.com/maarten-pennings/303WIFILC01

U1: AMS1117 low dropout voltage regulator
U2 : ESP8266EX microcontroller
U3: DS1302 Trickle-Charge Timekeeping Chip
U4: not present
U5: LED drive controller / keyboard scan ASIC TM1650 -- chinese datasheet, page with link to datasheet translated to English,
U6: P25Q80H Ultra Low Power, 8M-bit Serial Multi I/O Flash Memory
display: 8401AW: 0.8" 4 digit common cathode white

The board features
Three general purpose buttons (S1, S2, S3); connected to ESP8266.
One general purpose red LED (D1); connected to ESP8266.
A programming port (p1) to program and serial access the ESP8266; reset signal is missing.
The labels for P1 are a bit confusing; they are below the holes.
The P1 5V is indeed a 5V - i.e. connected to + on power header P3 or the 5V of the USB connector.
The other P1 pins (TX, RX, IO0) are 3V3, since they hook to the ESP8266.
PCB trace antenna for the ESP8266 WiFi.
A 4-digit 7 segment display with decimal points and colon.
Micro USB (P2) for powering the board; there is no on-bard USB-to-serial chip, so no flashing or serial access to ESP8266 over USB.
Alternative 5V (P3) power supply.
A holder (BT1) for a 3V battery for the time keeping chip (U3).

clk6.png
clk7.png
clk8.png
clk9.png
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

It should not be hard to make it be compatible with Annex, it looks that there is an RTC chip, I'm just curious to know what is the chip that controls the display
Both models use TM1650, and if Annex is using the TM16xx library for Arduino, then it may actually already support the TM1650...
"Support modules based on TM1620, TM1628, TM1637, TM1638, TM1640, TM1650, TM1668 and similar chips"

I've flashed the 1Mb EX version, which returns eight i2c scan responses using SDA=13, SCL=12 (apparently the i2c address cannot be changed)
No point also flashing the 12E version unless Annex can support it, cos it is already a very nice white 0.8" LED clock/calendar with battery backup.

tm1650.jpg
tm1650b.jpg
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Robin,
the support for this device requires a specific development as the display needs a new driver and, even worse, the display is not wired properly as it should be.
Honestly, time wasted for doing other stuff ...
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Not to worry, I know there is alternative 'birthday reminder' clock/calendar firmware available to download anyway, plus the TM16xx library for Arduino opens up other possibilities.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Some wifi clock news updates:

Firstly, Fernando Perez has mapped out the 7-segments for numbers 0 to 9, so these TM1650 devices can definitely be used with Annex to display numbers: [Local Link Removed for Guests]

Next, I've included the link to a demo video showing both types of 0.8" TM1650 devices alongside a 0.56" TM1637 being used as a cheap Annex smartclock to cycle through useful info. The demo shows an Annex TFT 'Thermostat and Weather Server" which is collecting data from internal and external bluetooth sensors plus its own internal BME280, which it periodically broadcasts the weather data and other optional info to any listening smartclocks, which are all date and time synced from an Annex 'Timeserver':
https://odysee.com/@Electroguard:d/Smartclock:8

When looking to order some more wifi clock modules, I noticed several other different types:
wifi clocks.jpg

Some are using 0.56" displays and come in 2 variants, either with wifi, or with RTC and battery, but not both: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... 6555%21rec
It is particularly relevent because I've read that the TM1650 i2c driver chip does not have an i2c address, which prevents its i2c pins 13 & 12 from being used with other i2c devices. So the wifi clocks DS1302 RTC chip is shown using pins 14 & 16 instead... which obviously works with the original firmware, but not on my RTC module with Annex, which failed to initialise the RTC when using 14 & 16 for i2c.
Therefore the wifi clocks battery backup probably won't work without a working RTC. Which brings me back to the two 0.56" variants mentioned above, cos if an Annex clock with wifi connection can sync time to internet (or in my case an Annex TimeServer) then RTC with battery backup is unnecessary.
either.jpg

I also noticed a 0.8" "XY-clock" module which which comes in 3 colour display options, and includes audio buzzer for 6 programmable alarms, and has a mobile App available to give remote access to all the alarm clocks functionality. The module looks similar to the other wifi TM1650 clock modules, but there's no way to know if it will be Annex compatible without actually getting one to try.

Was about to order it, then noticed an enhanced XY-WBT variant which includes Bluetooth MP3 Audio for not a lot more, so I may get that instead, cos even though originally wanted for an Annex Smartclock, all of its original default functionality would be nice to have anyway.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... orLtgLs5Yp

XY-WBT.jpg