ESP32 LILYGO E-paper

Annex for ESP32
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: ESP32 LILYGO E-paper

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:08 pm When you take away power, will the display still stay on?
Yes, the image remains on the display even without any power.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:30 am That looks great, Cicciocb. I have a perfect use for this.
If it's not too much trouble, would you mind measuring the battery current with the ESP32 in deep sleep mode for me as my application would be battery powered and charged only occasionally.
Hi Andy,
I do not have a valuable equipment for measuring the standby current, I tried with a multimeter and the current seems very low but its internal resistance is not appropriate for the measurement.
At the other side it seems to use a large peak of current when the image is updated on the e-paper.
Again, I must confirm; maybe we can found some test already done by someone else on internet.
AndyGadget

Post by AndyGadget »

Whoops - Sleep power consumption there in the spec. (I'm sure I loooked before and it wasn't :-)
It's quoting 170uA which is pretty good, if they're being truthful about it.

Additional information and schematic is at https://github.com/Xinyuan-LilyGO/LilyGo-EPD47
Don't have time to look properly now, but 2 of the on-board switches are to I/O lines, but the other 2 don't appear to be standard I/O so may be tricky to get access to.

Does your Annex support use the GUI objects or are you using the TFT.TEXT type commands?

(I've just gifted you another 10 Euro to support the wonderful work you're doing with Annex :D )
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Hi Andy, thanks for the support.
For the moment the actual implementation do not use the GUI but the TFT.TEXT type.
In particular the functions are in the style :

epaper.pixel x, y, color
epapr.line ....
epaper.circle ...
epaper.loadfont ...
epaper.text.draw ...
and so on.

I forgot to buy the optional touchscreen that could eventually be implemented with a specific GUI.
I recently ordered one and I'll include the support for it.

Probably I will release a specific version of the firmware because the display driver consumes a lot of RAM which would be lost for other applications not using this display.

I will also take the opportunity to eliminate the unnecessary parts of the code (like TFT drivers, for example).

This means that there will be at least 3 versions of Annex32
- General Purpose
- General Purpose with bluetooth
- Lilygo E-paper version

About the switches, 3 of them are connected on 3 GPIO "input only' 34, 35 and 39, another on the GPIO 0 and another on the reset.

There are 4 I/O pins available via 2 (a kind of I2C ) dedicated connectors (GPIO 12, 13 and GPIO 14 and 15) but 3 of them will be used by the optional touchscreen but because the touchscreen seems to be based on I2C, this means that other I2C devices can share these pins.

I tested the I2C on both connectors and they works perfeclty with Annex.
Hendrix

Post by Hendrix »

Print your own case for this Liligo e-paper:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4834603

case.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hendrix

Post by Hendrix »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:09 pm I did a little video with a simple demo done with Annex32.

The image below shows a small demo project where the module receives information from these 2 wireless sensors using BLE.

IMG_5212.jpg
Hi Cicciocb,

Could you share the code for this demo please?
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Tue May 11, 2021 9:16 am
[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:09 pm I did a little video with a simple demo done with Annex32.

The image below shows a small demo project where the module receives information from these 2 wireless sensors using BLE.

IMG_5212.jpg
Hi Cicciocb,

Could you share the code for this demo please?
The code for using the BLE sensors is, in fact, the example code inside the help file.

About the LILYGO E-paper, the binary is actually not yet ready to be published (I'm still waiting for the touchscreen) but I could release a temporary version for someone that want just test it.
Hendrix

Post by Hendrix »

I would like to test it. I have the module with the touch panel.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

OK, I'll try to release a development version but I must document the changes before
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

A little update ...

I'm continuing to work on this subject, I received some days ago the touchscreen and I successfully integrated it.
I was really surprised of the quality and precision of this touchscreen as it is based on capacitive technology with a dedicated processor compared with the other usual touchscreens based on resistive technology.

This do not inhibited me to implement other features such as the integration of the Telegram support (including sending pictures), the DAC output on pins 25 and 26, the wake up from sleep using H/W pins, the full integration of the CCS811 and HDC1080 sensors.

I should be able to release something in the next days.

For the near future, I ordered some LORA module based boards ....