LilyGo-T-Pico-ESP32-C3

Annex for ESP32
douglasp

LilyGo-T-Pico-ESP32-C3

Post by douglasp »

Just released by LilyGo, the T-Pico-C3 is a combination of an RPi RP2040 and ESP32-C3 on a single board. I would like to load up Annex RDS on the ESP32-C3 but the Annex Toolkit fails to detect the ESP32-C3. Is support for the C3 in progress?
Thanks, Doug.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: LilyGo-T-Pico-ESP32-C3

Post by cicciocb »

The Esp32-c3, even if called ESP32, has a complete different structure as it is based on a RISC V architecture.
I was able to implement annex on this chip but I need more time for testing; anyway, the first initial tests seems very positive so a version for this chip should be released soon.
douglasp

Post by douglasp »

cicciocb, thanks very much for the quick reply,
Regards,
Doug.
Tinine

Post by Tinine »

Hey Doug... Thanks for the heads-up on the "_135" parameter on the Lilygo :D Can't believe that I didn't think of that :oops:

My relationship with this module is now back on track (love it)....

Craig
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

I'm ready to release a preliminary version for this chip.
I made some tests in combination with the picomite S/W and it seems to works very well, ( even if all I did can be done with the ESP32 alone :D ).
Let's say that this can be considered a kind of dual CPU with one dedicated to the real time (the picomite) and the other dedicated to the sensors / internet.
I've been able to exchange with Telegram, and openweatherapi and found an easy way to connect between them using the esp32-C3 like a kind of coprocessor

Please let me know if someone want test this version (for the ESP32-C3 chip alone or in combination with the LilyGo-T-Pico-ESP32-C3)

cicciocb
Tinine

Post by Tinine »

I was sure that I replied to this but I don't see it.....try again :D

This sounds incredibly cool.....why is no one getting excited about this?

So, if I understand correctly, Annex32 runs on the ESP32-C3 and another language such as MMBASIC, Python, C++ runs on the Pico?
And they talk to each other via UART?

Awesome!!!!! :+1:

The C3 BLE works as well as WiFi, correct?
I don't suppose that BT Classic (SPP) is enabled?

Sign me up 🤓....I'd love to test this.

Craig
BeanieBots

Post by BeanieBots »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:05 am ....why is no one getting excited about this?
Not sure why I should get excited about it.
From my understanding, the main difference is BLE 5.0 support but only a single core and more expensive.
Have I missed something significant?
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:05 am I was sure that I replied to this but I don't see it.....try again :D

This sounds incredibly cool.....why is no one getting excited about this?

So, if I understand correctly, Annex32 runs on the ESP32-C3 and another language such as MMBASIC, Python, C++ runs on the Pico?
And they talk to each other via UART?

Awesome!!!!! :+1:

The C3 BLE works as well as WiFi, correct?
I don't suppose that BT Classic (SPP) is enabled?

Sign me up 🤓....I'd love to test this.

Craig
Yes, you are right, both Pico and esp32-c3 runs at the same time and can exchange using via UART.
I tested just the BLE scan (scanning the Ble xiami thermometers) and, obviously,the WiFi that works well.
I tested also 2 esp32-c3 modules with an ILI9341 display, not yet the touch and the sdcard.
[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:43 pm
[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:05 am ....why is no one getting excited about this?
Not sure why I should get excited about it.
From my understanding, the main difference is BLE 5.0 support but only a single core and more expensive.
Have I missed something significant?

You are right too, this new chip is supposed to replace the esp8266 (it should be pin to pin compatible) but, because is not yet well available, it cost more than a dual core ESP32. From a performance point of view, it has around the same speed of the ESP32, I still not yet tested the audio functions including the support for an external i2s DAC.

In the while I tried also the esp32-S3 that seems better than the classic Esp-32 as it unlock the full 8mb of ram, and is faster.
A good news is that, while adapting Annex to run into these new chips, I focused on several internal optimisation obtaining a strong boost in the performances.
douglasp

Post by douglasp »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:40 pm I'm ready to release a preliminary version for this chip.
I made some tests in combination with the picomite S/W and it seems to works very well, ( even if all I did can be done with the ESP32 alone :D ).
Let's say that this can be considered a kind of dual CPU with one dedicated to the real time (the picomite) and the other dedicated to the sensors / internet.
I've been able to exchange with Telegram, and openweatherapi and found an easy way to connect between them using the esp32-C3 like a kind of coprocessor

Please let me know if someone want test this version (for the ESP32-C3 chip alone or in combination with the LilyGo-T-Pico-ESP32-C3)

cicciocb
Thanks cicciocb, I have a couple of combined units and plenty of spare time to test/experiment for you. Please let me know what would assist you.
Regards,
Doug.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

No problem,
I'll send the version to test asap.
I need to wrap-up a little bit the code and write a little flashing procedure.