can annex use psram for code?

Annex for ESP32
Stuart

can annex use psram for code?

Post by Stuart »

I have not seen it stated nor found anything in the help file, so for the avoidance of doubt, can Annex use psram? If so, is it automatic or if not how is it managed? It would be useful to know which products are known to work, if anyone has experience. My code is generating a lot of html, a victim of scope creep.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: can annex use psram for code?

Post by cicciocb »

Sure, the PSRAM is automatically recognised..
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

This is, for example, an ESP32-S3
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Anyone have a link for cost-effective esp32's with psram ?
(but not the purple S2 which doesn't have BLE, cos thats exactly what I need the extra memory for)
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

I have just ordered a couple of these: DollaTek ESP32 8MByte PSRAM WiFi Bluetooth Module ESP32-WROVER-B Development Board Suitable for 18650 Battery : from Amazon. Not sure what cost-effective means in practice but these are 16.99 on a board compared to 9.99 for the base chip from elsewhere. I chose them because they are virtually pin-compatible with the Wroom thingies that I currently use. Certainly looking forward to the massive extra ram, though not sure what the speed hit will be. They only have two left as of now! (though there are others around that look identical with different brand names). The battery holder will be useful. I think the only difference from the WROOM is that pin 16 is unavailable, but there may be other gotchas I shall discover tomorrow when they arrive. I assume the BT is BLE though I don't plan to use it so not too concerned.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

You'll have "only" 4MB available because the ESP32 "classic" chip cannot map more than this (even with an 8MB chip).

The PSRAM is much slower than the internal RAM but, from a practical point of view, this is really not important compared to the benefit of having a lot of space available.

Using the PSRAM + the version NOBLE should fix your problems :D

edit:
the pin 16 and 17 are not available (used by the PSRAM) so do not use them.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

I don't know what the current RAM limit is, but I seem to remember it was 16Mb for Esp8266 and only 4Mb for ESP32.

So how much usable memory will be available from this 16+8 device (16Mb flash + 8Mb PSRAM), will it be 6Mb (4+2) ?https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... LSIrJa07YP
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:26 pm I don't know what the current RAM limit is, but I seem to remember it was 16Mb for Esp8266 and only 4Mb for ESP32.

So how much usable memory will be available from this 16+8 device (16Mb flash + 8Mb PSRAM), will it be 6Mb (4+2) ?https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... LSIrJa07YP
The module is an Esp32-S3 so it will be 16 + 8 Mb

Attention : the firmware is not the same as the ESP32 but it is supported by annex.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

You might save a few quid but wait until March? I don't have that much patience!
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

You might save a few quid but wait until March? I don't have that much patience!
Nor me... I gave that link just as an example to find out feasibility of those type devices, but I have actually ordered a similar type 16Mb FLASH plus 8Mb PSRAM device from elsewhere for less than 9 euros with free 10 day delivery, so am happy with that.
An important advantage of those type devices for me is that they look like they have the wemos D1 Mini footprint, so should use many of the esp8266 wemos D1 Mini shields such as the lipo 'battery' shield I use with some of my cheap pink S2's (2Mb PSRAM but no BLE), but the fact that the new mega-memory S3 already has onboard lipo charger anyway is a nice bonus.