ESP32-CAM with 8MB?

Annex for ESP32
lyizb

ESP32-CAM with 8MB?

Post by lyizb »

Does someone have a reliable source for the ESP32-CAM with 8MB which can have Annex installed? Three separate times I've purchased an ESP32-CAM from Aliexpress which claimed to be 8MB, but each reported 4MB. I got refunds for them.

Is there somewhere I can reliably get the correct version?
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: ESP32-CAM with 8MB?

Post by cicciocb »

Hi Lizby,
probably you bought the ESP32-CAM that contains a 8MB PSRAM but the ESP32 can handle only 4MB of RAM.
Maybe there is a wrong / false interpretation of the 8MB information.
About ESP32-CAM equipped with 8MB of flash, I never found them.
lyizb

Post by lyizb »

Thanks for the response. Does this mean that only the M5 works for the Annex ESP32-CAM firmware?

This message in the AnnexToolKit suggested to me that there would (could?) be a 16-pin ESP32-CAM module on which Annex would work.
Esp32-cam Annex 4MB.jpg
Are there actually none of the 16-pin camera modules which have been shown to work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyGadget

Post by AndyGadget »

Hy Lyizb,
Have a look at this thread : [Local Link Removed for Guests]
If you flash firmware only and then configure via the 192.168.4.1 address, everything works fine.
Possibly there is an option for cicciocb to change the partition sizes since he has removed the face recognition in the latest version, but I don't know if he has done this.
lyizb

Post by lyizb »

Thanks very much for this information. I made a PCB without realizing the 8MB limitation--now I'll get to see if it will work.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Yes, it will work. The limitation, if we can consider this as one, is just the free disk space available but if you plan to use an sdcard, you can have all the space you need.
lyizb

Post by lyizb »

Sorry to be late getting back to this. Yes, flashing without data and then configuring from 192.168.4.1 worked. Now I get to play a bit.

Very much appreciate this firmware and this forum.
oldbiddy

Post by oldbiddy »

hi im a complete newbi to annex and and have followed this thread to setup an ESP32 CAM it seems to have worked and setup the board as a access point at 192.168.4.1 but i have no idea how to proceed from there can anyone point me to a step by step instruction. In addition the ESP32 CAM is sitting with the white LED turned on at full brightness is this normal ?
oldbiddy

Post by oldbiddy »

OK found the answer here https://sites.google.com/site/annexwifi ... s/webpages
still dont know about the LED on tho' hope it don't burn out :|
AndyGadget

Post by AndyGadget »

Hi OldBiddy and welcome to the forum.
You've found the page I'd have pointed you to for the setup information. That's the old Google groups page whichis no longer updated but there's still useful gen there.

I think the LED ON thing is down to the design of your board. Some clones cut corners on the circuitry to reduce costs as I've noted here : [Local Link Removed for Guests]
Most GPIO pins come up as inputs on startup so a floating transistor driver to the LED can turn it on. Set GPIO4 low early in your program to turn it off, or fit a pulldown resistor as I did. You can PWM the LED to control the brightness too.

There's a wealth of goodies to explore in Annex so post back if you need further information or help, ideally in a new thread.