Error trying to flash ESP-32 board

All that relates to the Annex Toolkit Utility
ebs

Error trying to flash ESP-32 board

Post by ebs »

Hi - I'm brand new to EPS-32 and Annex, so please excuse any obviously dumb questions...

I just got one of these ESP-32 boards, with an ESP-WROOM-32 and an OLED display:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SN3GJ2R

I read the module info and got this:
module.jpg
I had to hold down the "Boot" button to connect to the module.

Then I tried to flash firmware (Annex32) + data (full) and got this error:
error.jpg

I attached screenshots of both messages. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?
Does it make sense that it says "Chip is ESP8255EX" when it said "Module is ESP32" when I read the info?

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cicciocb
Site Admin

Re: Error trying to flash ESP-32 board

Post by cicciocb »

What you are doing is simply clicking on the wrong button.

You must use this button:
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ebs

Post by ebs »

Yes, I finally figured that out - I told you I might ask dumb questions!

I successfully flashed the EPS-32 module and experimented with a number of the demo programs, including the WiFi scan, basic HTML and OLED programs. I'm amazed that you were able to fit a full BASIC interpreter, device libraries, and an editor/IDE into the ESP-32 - that's very impressive.

I determined that the OLED on the board uses pins 5 and 4 for the I2C bus; my next task is to connect an I2C DAC board and get speech synthesis working.

Thank you for your fast response to my dumb question! ;)

Regards,
Eric
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

You can simply use the output on the pin 25 and 26 for the audio output without external dac.
ebs

Post by ebs »

Thanks for the audio information. I was hoping to get higher quality audio by using the I2C DAC.

Is that possible with the I2C bus on pins 5 and 4? I assume that I can't just connect BCK/DIN/LCK to pins 5, 2, and 26 respectively and still use the OLED display on pins 5 and 4, right? If I decide not to use the OLED, can I just remove the "I2C.SETUP 5, 4" statement and the I2C DAC will work?

If I do use pins 25 and 26, pin 25 is the audio output - is this correct? What is the function of pin 26 in this setup?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really do appreciate your help!

Regards,
Eric
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:49 pm Thanks for the audio information. I was hoping to get higher quality audio by using the I2C DAC.

Is that possible with the I2C bus on pins 5 and 4? I assume that I can't just connect BCK/DIN/LCK to pins 5, 2, and 26 respectively and still use the OLED display on pins 5 and 4, right? If I decide not to use the OLED, can I just remove the "I2C.SETUP 5, 4" statement and the I2C DAC will work?

If I do use pins 25 and 26, pin 25 is the audio output - is this correct? What is the function of pin 26 in this setup?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really do appreciate your help!

Regards,
Eric
Hi,
the actual pinout for the I2S DAC is fixed in the code.

So, you cannot use both the DAC and the OLED in this case.
About the pin 25, it will give a mono audio output (and the pin26 should also do the same except if used for other stuff).