ESP32-CAM QR code reader

If doesn't fit into any other category ....
Fernando Perez

ESP32-CAM QR code reader

Post by Fernando Perez »

In the old forum, Lew asked for a solution so that an elderly person could connect an ESP32 to their home Wi-Fi network.
https://groups.google.com/forum/embed/? ... cxFfb8Hut8
I've thought a lot about this and can't find a simple solution.
But some tricky ones could be explored:
Cicciocb, could a QR code reader be implemented in ESP32-CAM?
I believe that all current mobile phones have an option to "share wifi password", showing on the screen a nice and bright QR code, which our ESP32-CAM could read and broadcast to the rest of the modules deployed at our relative's home.
I have been experimenting these days with my hated Arduino and its libraries and the proposal of https://www.filipeflop.com/blog/utilize ... e-qr-code/ works for me. But there are many more on the Internet.
Electroguard

Re: ESP32-CAM QR code reader

Post by Electroguard »

Perhaps we should keep our eye on the ball.
Why seems a more important question than how.

Annex is for hobbyist users, and Annex hobbyists should have no trouble connecting devices to their router (even though many of us are getting on a bit).
So the situation boils down to if it should be made simple to supply pre-programmed devices embedded with Annex to people who are not Annex hobbyists.

If so, that would greatly help dishonest profiteers who want to sell embedded Annex devices to customers and avoid any further involvement.

Whereas if any genuine Annex hobbyist chooses to help a friend or relative to benefit from Annex, then surely they would be willing and able to guide the other person through that one-off process, else they wouldn't be doing them much of a favour.
Fernando Perez

Post by Fernando Perez »

Dear Robin, I appreciate your answer, but I do not agree.
I know that you are seriously involved in Annex and everything that surrounds it, but do you really believe that this software in its current state of development and especially because of its orientation, is professional enough to be plundered and usurped by unscrupulous merchants? to manufacture and sell their products en masse?
I think, and I have expressed it on several occasions, that this project is a real marvel.
I see Annex as perfect for bringing young people (and not so young) closer to the world of microcontrollers and their programming. Incredibly efficient for the rapid development of our ideas. Amazingly easy to put into operation complementary modules connected to the ESP8266 and ESP32 cores. And to create devices that help our family, friends and ourselves in everyday life.
But sometimes it is convenient to get away from the trees to be able to see the forest.
Francesco Ceccarella does not hide that his software is free but totally closed; it is being developed and controlled by a single person, our valued Cicciocb.
This implies that if you get bored with Annex, get tired of us or your job is acquired by a company, Annex disappears.
Annex, as it is currently oriented, does not use libraries or include modules that can extend its functionality. Everything is built into its core and cannot be changed. In fact, if Cicciocb wanted to include bots in his code, it would be difficult to detect. (Don't think I wasn't scared when Annex asked to break through my firewall, until I found out it was to access contextual online help for the F2 key).
I mean, if I were an evil merchant, I'd rather use open source solutions to manipulate it as I please.
For all this, I think that in gratitude to what Francesco is doing, my moral obligation is to collaborate as much as possible, not only as a beta tester, but also by exposing all the ideas that occur to me to improve it.
Electroguard

Post by Electroguard »

Dear Robin, I appreciate your answer, but I do not agree.
I know that you are seriously involved in Annex and everything that surrounds it, but do you really believe that this software in its current state of development and especially because of its orientation, is professional enough to be plundered and usurped by unscrupulous merchants? to manufacture and sell their products en masse?
I think, and I have expressed it on several occasions, that this project is a real marvel.
I see Annex as perfect for bringing young people (and not so young) closer to the world of microcontrollers and their programming. Incredibly efficient for the rapid development of our ideas. Amazingly easy to put into operation complementary modules connected to the ESP8266 and ESP32 cores. And to create devices that help our family, friends and ourselves in everyday life.
But sometimes it is convenient to get away from the trees to be able to see the forest.
Francesco Ceccarella does not hide that his software is free but totally closed; it is being developed and controlled by a single person, our valued Cicciocb.
This implies that if you get bored with Annex, get tired of us or your job is acquired by a company, Annex disappears.
Annex, as it is currently oriented, does not use libraries or include modules that can extend its functionality. Everything is built into its core and cannot be changed. In fact, if Cicciocb wanted to include bots in his code, it would be difficult to detect. (Don't think I wasn't scared when Annex asked to break through my firewall, until I found out it was to access contextual online help for the F2 key).
I mean, if I were an evil merchant, I'd rather use open source solutions to manipulate it as I please.
For all this, I think that in gratitude to what Francesco is doing, my moral obligation is to collaborate as much as possible, not only as a beta tester, but also by exposing all the ideas that occur to me to improve it.
Ideas should not just be judged on the one-sided view of the originator, but should be judged on merit with an unbiased view of all related facts and consequences. So there was no need to get upset or animated about polite mention of the possible consequences of making Annex easier to sell for profit.

Why ridicule Annex for not being capable of creating useful working devices, when you must already know of many unique worthwhile projects which Annex users have published, many of which are proving invaluable.
The whole point of publishing such projects is the expectation that they can be as useful to others as they are to the originator.

Perhaps you are unaware that there are many such niche market items advertised on the likes of ebay by opportunistic makers trying to make money - and in many cases an Annex alternative could offer advantages.

So your question about whether Annex is "professional enough to be plundered and usurped by unscrupulous merchants to manufacture and sell their products en masse?" is just irrelevent sensationalism… cos however you choose to dress it up, Annex is certainly capable of being sold for profit.
Same as the sensationlist misdirection about what you would do if you were "an evil merchant" - cos whether you are or not is irrelevant to the possible consequences of a QR code making Annex easier to sell for profit.
Even if no existing Annex user would be dishonest enough to sell Annex-based products for profit… what about those less scrupulous ebays sellers who would jump at the easy new opportunity which an Annex QR code could open up for them… especially as Annex is one of the easiest of languages to learn.

But hey, it's not my call to make, I was merely offering another point of view for some balance.
You certainly made your disagreement with me clear, and sang many praises to CiccioCB's different names, so feel free to express your obligation to collaborate by exposing yourself to him as you wish, but there are rules of forum decency, so please keep it all about Annex… personal opinion can be expressed in PM. Likewise there is nothing useful left to say on this thread, so if you have more to say then please use PM.